Thank You Sergio

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

winston
Membership Admin

Thank You Sergio

Post by winston »

Sergio,

I installed the pickups that you converted (hi-gain to toaster) for me this afternoon on my 350 Liverpool.

I am so happy with the result. I have better balance now between the strings and greater tonal variety. I also did not lose any appreciable output. At least not to my ears. I have all sorts of sustain at my fingertips, just the way I like it. I love the new look too.

As always you did an incredible job. I am forever grateful for your fine craftsmanship and dedication to excellence.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

You're welcome, Brian. I'm glad I could be of assistance.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Another satisfied customer! Way to go Sergio!
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

I use oven mitts when handling Sergio's pickup.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Ahh! That one! Yes, it's one of the hottest I've put together so far. I forget: what did you install it in tandem with? A toaster? A high gain? A humbucker?
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Currently it's all I'm using---the original toaster is not working. I'm sure it's all in the wiring and my own idiocy, but I don't have the time to learn or the cash to bring it to someone with ability. This has been a hair-raising year, financially.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Tell me about it!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Mark, if you take a picture of the underside of the toaster and also the wiring side of the switch area I'll bet we can see if it is a wiring issue.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hmm... Yes. However, bear in mind that old toaster pickups can be deceiving, meaning a "dead" one may look alright on the outside...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

That's where an ohmmeter comes in. But it sounds like it may be a cockpit error, as Mark alluded to.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

My friends, I'll take a pass on this one. I have a friend who understands guitar wiring very well, and one of these days we'll meet up and get my Rick roaring properly. 65-70 hour workweeks and a low budget make family time more important than guitar repairs, if you follow, but that's just for now, and things will change down the road. For now I'm happy to blast solely through Sergio's hot potato!

Thanks, though!

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”