Question for Sergio and/or Mr. Hall

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I had an HB1 that had a similar problem ... I couldn't fix it so I dismantled it to see how it was made ...
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

That may be what I end up doing with this HB2, but I'm still hopeful that I can fix it.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Johnallg said:
Gary, would the THF also attack the plastic bobbin and the insulation on the wire?
Most likely, it would. One of the few plastics that THF doesn't dissolve is polyproplylene. I know for a fact that it dissolves polycarbonate very well!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I was hoping you would have just sold it to me directly once you found it, but I'm glad I won the auction.

I'm sorry but it simply wouldn't have been fair any other way, as many of these parts are one-of-a-kind and there may be a wide range of people that need them. It really has nothing to do with the ending bid of the auction but rather using eBay as the lottery system for these items.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Well I understand Mr. Hall, and its ok. If I had lost the auction it would have been worse for me though!

I still would like to fix this broken one but since I'll be getting another, it gives me a little time to try to figure out a good way to fix the broken one without destroying it, or if I do destroy it, I can find some way to melt the epoxy and plastic and rewind it, and come up with some other cover setup. Meanwhile I'll be able to play the guitar again....at least once I get the fretwork done.

Thanks again for your help and try to avoid dusty bins for awhile Image

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”