More HG/Toaster noob questions

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

TheWonders

More HG/Toaster noob questions

Post by TheWonders »

Hello all - my first post here at the forum.

I have a 1999 340 JG with HG pickups. I also own three toasters - 2 were purchased from Ed Roman a few years ago, and one is a toaster I bought on eBay that supposedly came out of a 1965 450. So I'm planning on replacing the HG pickups with the toasters, but I have some questions:

1) The newer toasters read 6.33k and 6.9k. That seems low to me, but I'm told that this is within the tolerances for newer toasters - correct?

2) It's been recommended that I put the new 6.33k toaster in the neck position, the 6.9k toaster in the mid position, and the older 7.4k toaster in the bridge position. Do you agree/disagree?

Thanks,

JR
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I'm a bass guy so can't help, but I did want to say howdy and welcome!
TheWonders

Post by TheWonders »

Hi Charly, and thanks!

I'm a bass guy, also. Besides my 1976 4001 MG I have a Hofner Beatle bass and a Warwick Thumb 5.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Then ya can't be all bad, even if you have some of those skinny stringed thangs! Speaking of which, I just started strummin the old Yamaha acoustic again. I can't believe I lost what little guitar chops I had. I now pick it up for at least 15 minutes a day just to build up strength and stamina again! Sheesh! About the only thing I remember is House of the Rising Sun, but I get down with it for starters! A few bluesy tunes and I'm done!
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Welcome to the forum!

Putting the pickups in the guitar in that order is the best because the string vibrates more as you go closer to the neck, and less as you go closer to the bridges. So you put your most powerful pickup near the bridge, and progressively less powerful as you go towards the neck and you will get the best volume balance between all the pickups. On my 350V63, I have a 12k toaster in the bridge, and the stock ~7/4k toasters in the middle and neck and it balances out quite well. I actually wouldn't mind a slightly less powerful neck pickup than the 7.4k as it overpowers the bridge pickup a little bit when they are on together. So don't let the lower readings of those toasters bother you.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome, Jo!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”