Remagnetising Horseshoes

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

stevebasshead

Remagnetising Horseshoes

Post by stevebasshead »

A few hours of this worked a treat...

A general lack of free time stopped me from following John Hall's advice in my "Weird Horseshoe posting" re: finding an arc welder (but appreciated nonetheless) and a fellow RIC player (my mate Dave) suggested this approach.

The shoes are a perfect fit around the magnet (that's a Fane 15" from my old Trace 1518 cab) and the poles were the right way around. The shoes have gone from barely being able to lift a small washer to being able to lift each other, or pieces of cutlery.
Laziness is just resting before you get tired...

Mission Statement: "I shall endeavour to pummel your underdanglings with tidal waves of bassily groovings. Oh yea."
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

That's cool Steve,

I'm going to try that...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Hey, magnets I got - someone send me horseshoes they have just lying around and I, too, will give it a try! Image
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I bet you could simple stick on a couple of Radio Shack rare earth magnets to a horseshoe ... the magnets are about 1/8" in size ... you could place them discretely out of sight on the horseshoe and it would never demagnetize ... but you would have to make sure you get the north south direction correct ...
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

opposites attract; alikes repel
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

the rare earth magnets are so strong that you could make them stick north on north on a horseshoe ...
stevebasshead

Post by stevebasshead »

Which would presumably re-orientate the magnetic field on the Horseshoes themselves wouldn't it ?? I wonder how long it would take. Instantaneous ? Hours ? Either way once it's settled I guess it wouldn't affect the sound would it ?

Mission Statement: "I shall endeavour to pummel your underdanglings with tidal waves of bassily groovings. Oh yea."
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Waving a rare earth magnet past a horseshoe (whilst still in the bass) in the right way will also regauss them too
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I have unknown white rectangle magnets from old "Starship Enterprise" IBM 10MB hard drives and you better not have your fingers in the wrong place when near metal! Now all I need are the shoes...
stevebasshead

Post by stevebasshead »

Keep your eyes open John, you'll get lucky just like I did Image

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I get lucky quite often, just not with Rick shoes! Image
sangandongo

Re: Remagnetising Horseshoes

Post by sangandongo »

I have a Sonicare tooth brush, every time I change heads on it, I take the rare earth magnets out of it. They're coated in black lacquer and are strong as heck. I use them for all sorts of things, the most useful is putting on on a socket when I'm changing oil in my car so I don't drop the lug into the oil pan.

Anyhow, I guess I found another use! Since my horseshoe is black, they would not show at all. I'll let you know how it works. Hopefully it won't be too strong as to interfere with the string sustain.

--
j.
mc2NY

Post by mc2NY »

Yeah, yeah...ancient thread, I know.

But I was curious if anyone has a link to the John Hall "how to remagnetize a horseshoe using an arc welder," as mentioned above?

Cuz...

1) I did a search and cannot find it.

2) I'm curious....and happen to own an arc welder. :)
mc2NY

Post by mc2NY »

NEVER MIND....FOUND IT !!
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

How It's Done:
IMG_0174.JPG

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”