Pickup wiring

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

charlyg

Pickup wiring

Post by charlyg »

I have heard a term that I don't recognize for pup wiring. There is single coil, and then there is humbucker. Then for humbucker wiring, this thing some call stork series, and parallel.

Can someone please 'splain this stork thing?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Well, you see...it's like this...a man finds a woman he loves, and then he...
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

You forgot the SERIES part!!!!! Or better,I FORGOT to include in the wording of the question. I forgot to WHOM I am speaking.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

"Stork series"? I'm sure any pickup I build can do without it. Going hi-tech is pretty pointless when it comes to pickups, if you ask me. Cheers.Image
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

But what does it mean? Isn't a humbucker reverse wired in series? We have readings from 30k down to 7 or 8k. There must be something going on.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

A 4 conducter humbucker can be wired in series or parallel, or you can split it so you only get one coil or the other. You can also phase reverse the coils with each other, or with another pickup. (with another pickup sounds better than doing it from coil to coil inside the pickup btw)

The normal wiring for a Gibson style humbucker is "in series, out of phase". I don't know what stork series is...maybe someone mistyped and they meant stock series?
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

That is a very REAL possibility. Thanks! I assume there is a big difference in the sound when series vs par?
charlyg

Re: Pickup wiring

Post by charlyg »

I'm having a hard time tracking down proper wiring for a 5 wire P pup. I have red, orange, blue, black and white.The two center pins on the pups are black and they attach to one another and then give you wire to go to ground. One pup has orange and white on the outside, and the other has blue and red. So, I took the black. white and blue and attached them all to ground. I then soldered the orange and red together to go to the pot. Something doesn't "feel" right so I thought I would check... I don't know for sure if the two splits should be in series or par?

Thanks
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Thanks John! I had time today to stop by Jammin Jersey and he showed me how he wires 'em in. He ignores the black wire. grounds one end and runs them in series. Works great for now, anyways. The tone and vols seem to be very sensitive to the sweet spot. Any micro adjustment and it sounds like ****. It has 250k vols, and I assume the same for tone, and the standard 22 and 47 caps. Would 500k stuff be more, or less, sensitive than 250k? I don;t have time to go to those links until later. I have my first 4 hour session in a REAL studio. We're cutting some pre-demo demos for Nashville for a song writer friend and bandmate. I am taking th P/J!! I haven't got the 4003 dialed in, and I'm a touch afraid of single coils in the studio for the first time!! The G&L is active, and sound kinda wimpy passive, so the P/J wins out!!!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

You may not have audio taper pots in there, and that is why the sweet spot is so narrow/sensitive.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I got my control panel from that guy who sells wired Jazz control panels on ebay. He does such a clean job, he would have to understand that, wouldn't he? Well?
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Re:

Post by ben_brown »

jingle_jangle wrote:Well, you see...it's like this...a man finds a woman he loves, and then he...
Paul...I thought that was Parallel :!: :wink:
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

If You have 2 8k ohm pickups and you wire them in series the resulting impedence is 16k ohms. If you wire them parallel they become 4k ohms. The series will sound fatter and it will be hotter and it will growl more. Parallel will be smoother and not as hot. Series will bring out more mids as well. With pots the higher the number the brighter they make your bass. A p-bass is wired in series. A jazz bass has 2 reverse wound pickups that are wired parallel.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”