toaster/higain inductance

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Les

Re: toaster/higain inductance

Post by Les »

Ok, I ran Greg's numbers In the SPICE model....sorry it's a little fuzzy...

Quite a big difference...night and day really. I do think the newest higains are hotter than Greg's '80s example....so perhaps even more difference. I'll have to unhook a pickup to find out though.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Yes, the newer high gains are hotter....I don't have any to measure though except ones that are in my 330/12. I do plan to switch to toasters on that guitar, but haven't gotten around to it yet. For me the toasters are where its at for a first choice, especially with the 12 string, but the high gains sound good too. I like the hot toasters even better, especially in the bridge position, but haven't measured the ones I have yet. Given that the pickups all have the same footprint, there is quite a large difference between them in the tone department.

To upload files, there is an upload attachment tab below the window you type your message into. I couldn't find it either until Peter pointed it out.

Greg
Les

Post by Les »

The picture came through didn't it? I just used a BBCode tag....course the photobucket link will will expire.
Hey...and don't swap out those higains yet.... :D
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

I have two toasters that measure 6.11 kohms
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

ben_brown wrote:I have two toasters that measure 6.11 kohms
60s to early 70s toasters measure that, Steve. 50s and very early 60s measure around the low 5k range.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I don't see a picture Les.

Greg
Les

Post by Les »

No picture, Greg?

That's strange. It's just BBCode tag of a photobucket url.

Here's the link:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... higain.jpg

Can you see the link?

Oh the toaster converter design is done. I did the battery one first because a part is backordered.
Want me to build two? I'll give you one for all your help if you want.

Oh I was able to measure the bridge higain...since it has no series cap. 4 Henries. But the battery
toasterconverter will work with any inductance up to about 5 henry, because first it makes the response flat,
than puts in the self resonance matching your toaster data's response. If you can't see the picture, it's about
a 7.5 db peak at 4 kHz with 12 db/octave dropoff. This is with 750 pF cord capacitance .The output will be the
same or a little higher than the raw pickup.

I'll also put in a "flat" switch for going direct in a board where one can put whatever eq is desired.

Oh...gotta order strings....these are the original factory installed ones. Any preferences?
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I can see the link now Les, though will have to wait until I get home later to view it....can't view photobucket at work.

Thanks for the offer of a converter, but I don't think I need it since I'm using toasters in the bulk of my Rics already.

For strings, most people seem to be sold on the Thomastik-Infeld nickel flats, the pyramid nickel flats, or the stock Ric nickel rounds. I'm still using the Ric strings on my 12 and I like them, but will be changing to the TI's when I change the pickups. Pick of the Ricks carries a TI 12 string flat set I believe.Otherwise, you have to order the individual strings and peice together your own 12 string set.

Greg
Les

Post by Les »

Ok, just thought i'd offer.

Ordered some ric strings and some dan groundwounds for the '65 eb-0 bass.

I'm ordering a tascam 2488 studio too, but might as well wait until I get my chops up...havn't been playing much.

I need a singer. Met a little blonde cashier at the convenience store that said she could sing. Female voices ok? :lol:

I'll post sound files when the gadget is made.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”