Questions about a 1972 4001 bridge pu

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

OR120

Questions about a 1972 4001 bridge pu

Post by OR120 »

Hey everyone, from NC- new guy on Rick Resource. I have been trying to get some information on what kind of pickup I need to be looking for. I have a 1972 Rick 4001 (in jetglo) that is missing the bridge pickup. The metal pickup mount is there, but years ago the previous owner had the Bridge pickup replaced with a Bill Lawrence mini-humbucker..... yeah, that's right. I'm trying to get it back to where it needs to be. I have access to a new assembly, but have been trying to find something closer to original.
The Bill Lawrence was mounted to a base that looks factory as far as shape, and does not appear to be home made, but is shiny black plastic. If it's correct, all I'd need is a coil and a magnet. If anyone has a lead on a whole assembly I'd be interested. Any help or pictures I'd be grateful. It's a very hip toaster laden bass and deserves to be right.
Best regards
Chip
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Questions about a 1972 4001 bridge pu

Post by johnallg »

Chip, Welcome aboard the Rick bus! And kudos on wanting to restore the '72. They had the early high gain pickups with the black circuit board material for the form and the smaller under coil magnet. I'm thinking they were wound to about 8 k, but hopefully Sergio will pop in and straighten it all out. I did a search of the Rickenbacker Registry for 1972 4001 basses, and here is the results. Look at the pictures and see if that helps any.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... ages=2&sn=
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

I think it would be better to go directly to the gallery view:
http://www.rickresource.com/register/ga ... &year=1972

The one at the top is mine, feel free to ask any questions (as long as I don't force me to take it apart ;))
So long and thanks for all the fish!
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Modding a current 4003 treble pickup to make it look like an early '70s 4001 one is an option, I believe. Of course it will be hotter than a '72 unit which is a big plus, specially if you leave the treble-pass capacitor on. I'm afraid finding an original, stock 1972 4001 treble pickup shouldn't be easy, but it's not the impossible dream either. 8.0 K? Yes, an original unit should read roughly that or slightly lower.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”