DIY Toaster PU

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

37012player

DIY Toaster PU

Post by 37012player »

G'Day Sergio,

I have two Rick's one has HI Gains the other 7.4k Toasters. Here in Australia getting Ric parts is really, really .....(insert lots of "really's here) hard.

I love the sound of the VP Toasters and would like to convert my 360/12 over to toasters. If I could buy a set of toasters I would, but the inflated prices on ebay seem (?) excessively inflated!

So my question for you is, can I build myself two PU's that gives me that tone I'm after from some basic parts and wire? I see Stewart MacDonald is advertising wire and bits on it's web site. If it is possible could you advise how to go about it? I've read a few articles on the Web as to how to make generic PU's and think I could pull this off.....except the chrome covers that is, but the tone is more important to me than the look. Maybe I'll get some covers latter :)

Cheers,

Si.............
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

DIY toaster pickups

Post by rickcrazy »

Hey Si.

Building two toaster-style pickups is not that hard really: you'll need #44 wire, twelve Alnico-2 or -3 magnetic slugs, and some not-too-easy-to-bend plastic sheet stock to fashion the top & bottom bobbin plates from. Let me know if you need more specific information as to how to put the pickups together & winding them. Cheers.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: DIY Toaster PU

Post by johnallg »

Si, it would be easy to unwind the high gains to 7.4k, then pull the magnet off the bottom, pull (or unscrew on the newer) the pole pieces, chase the holes with a 1/4" drill bit, then insert magnetic alnico5 rods. Sounds like a lot but it isn't. Of course then you'd need covers, available from POTR or Mike Parks, among others.
37012player

Post by 37012player »

Thanks for the responses guys.

Think I'd like to leave my Hi Gains so I can swap them over if I was unsatisfied with the result.

Sergio,

Yeah if you could give me a bit of a steer as to how I would go about it that would be great :-)

Cheers,

Si......
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

(sound of screeching tyres! :mrgreen: )
Hi again, Si. Sorry I went away on you sort of. I'll send you a PM very soon. Stay tuned. Regards. 8)
37012player

Post by 37012player »

No worries Sergio :D

Look forward to hearing from you.

Si.....
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

You will... :)

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”