4003 Hi-gain bridge making fuzzy noise

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

espidog

Re: 4003 Hi-gain bridge making fuzzy noise

Post by espidog »

MrThumb wrote:I doubt that after the 'last time' Ken would want me anywhere near London! :lol:
It's OK mate - we've repaired the furniture now ...and as for that vase: well, who cares? Ming, schming, that's what I say. You're welcome round our gaff anytime and you know it! :wink:
MrThumb wrote:I'm going to try a friends '05 4003 this afternoon and make a bass for bass comparison. That should give me a good insight as to how it should really sound. I'll let you know how it goes.
As John has pointed out, what this bass needs is a good examination by someone who knows his electronics. Have you had a word with our mutual friend Paul C in Northampton yet? I'm sure he'd be glad to help, y'know. Not that I'm being pushy or bossing you around nor nuffink... :mrgreen:
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
MrThumb

Post by MrThumb »

Well I have just tried this against a slightly older 4003 'Blue Boy' (nice)! The difference between them is extreme. My one has hardly any output compared to the other one along with the dodgy background distortion noise. The Blue Boys pups are slightly higher but it could never make that amount of difference. This dose make me believe that the wiring is at fault somewhere as the neck pup doesn't have much whack either.
espidog

Post by espidog »

Great scott! I've spent most of this morning staring at the wiring schematic, trying to work out what act of monumental cack-handedness could have produced that result. It sounds like something is bleeding signal away to earth at a point quite late in the circuitry, but doing so in a nasty, unclean way. Thinks: I wonder if someone has made a dog's dinner of soldering the connections around the mono and stereo output jacks? Dry joints there would be a possibility.

To be honest, though, who knows what electro-vandalism has been done in there? For example, a very weak, distorted signal could be the result of some berk replacing one or both of the original volume pots with ones of much smaller value, and soldering them in badly.

If I could jump on a train to Telford right now, mate, I'd do it.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Yamaha BB414
Peavey TB-Raxx
Roland Bass Cube 100
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Pics and measurements would be really helpful for diagnosis.
espidog

Post by espidog »

Indeed, John. Just to keep you up to speed, Paul is now having it looked at by someone in his area with the necessary electronics knowledge, so right now it's a case of "watch this space" to find out what the cause was.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Yamaha BB414
Peavey TB-Raxx
Roland Bass Cube 100
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Thanks, Ken. Sure has my curiosity up. :wink:
espidog

Post by espidog »

johnallg wrote:Thanks, Ken. Sure has my curiosity up. :wink:
Mine too! It's driving me nuts. It was partly through my encouragement that Paul decided to buy this 4003 (he was originally angling for a rather well-worn 4001), so I feel a tad responsible. :(
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Yamaha BB414
Peavey TB-Raxx
Roland Bass Cube 100
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I know the feeling. But I'm sure it will be something easy - a strange wiring or more likely a broken ground by the pickup.
MrThumb

Post by MrThumb »

Well I'm still waiting to get my grubby paws back on her. The pickup has been removed and sent to Wizard pickups for some testing and/or re-winding. During the initial tests the pup was temporarily replaced with a second passive pup and this solved the problem and increased the output. It wont cost too much to have this done so Its worth a try. I'm getting desperate and rather impatient now. :(
MrThumb

Post by MrThumb »

espidog wrote: It was partly through my encouragement that Paul decided to buy this 4003 (he was originally angling for a rather well-worn 4001), so I feel a tad responsible. :(
I still believe that you made the right choice for me Ken! :wink:

BTW That was one cool pic of you at the last blues jam!

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”