1988 360V64/12 toaster problems?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

yardfuzz

1988 360V64/12 toaster problems?

Post by yardfuzz »

Hello,

New to the Forum. I posted this on the Rickenbacker website forum and it was suggested that I post it on this one as it is more active. Specifically to try and obtain Sergio's opinion/assistance. Below is my original post.

Has anyone had any problems with loss of output with the 12k pickups? According to the research based on the year of my guitar it should have the 12k's. I am the original owner and I bought it in 88. For a while now I've felt like I could get more out of them. I've never done the research until recently. I've had a couple of people come up to me after a show and say it was great but... that I should be getting more (volume/tone) out of my 360V64/12. I finally had my guitar tech measure the ohms (he measured separately) and they read below 5k ohms each. At the same time he had another Rickenbacker 360/12 with high gains come in and we A/B'd them. Not only night and day, but galaxies away in tone and volume. My tech is suggesting I get the high gains, but I'd really like to try to get some 12k toasters if possible. I'm thinking the 12k's will give me exactly what I'm looking for? The 7.2 toaster tops seem like they may not give that drive that I'm sometimes after. Either way it seems the availability is the biggest issue! Can my 12k's be rewound? Does anyone have a source for 12k's? Any suggestions?

I've been combing the forums for an answer, but it seems that the debate is only about the preference of 7.2k's to 12k's, to high gains.

Other useful info.
I play 60's garage stuff in one band and contemporary stuff (The Church/Radiohead) in another.

I play through an AC 30 with a few pedals. no processors. I don't use a compressor (which I guess could help).

thanks!
christopher marsteller (yardfuzz)

paologregorio

Re: 1988 360V64/12 toaster problems?

Post by paologregorio »

You might want to PM Sergio. Pickups can be rewound.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: 1988 360V64/12 toaster problems?

Post by johnallg »

Yup, and welcome aboard.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”