Hotter toaster?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

seanyfitz

Hotter toaster?

Post by seanyfitz »

Is there anyone who makes a hotter toaster replacement for a ric. what options are out there for rics???
paologregorio

Re: Hotter toaster?

Post by paologregorio »

I had custom wound 14 and 15k toaster coils built. :D
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

If this toaster you wanna replace has short slugs, simply find a suitably sized, strong bar magnet and fit it to the underside of the pickup. It must span all six slugs - which are not to be removed, of course. The pickup will come alive, believe me, and it is a reversible mod.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Sergio, I gather you've done this numerous times from the way you suggest it. Any particular alnico choices for both the alnico slugs and the alnico bar magnet? (I assume you're using an alnico bar magnet?) I've got an old high gain that I drilled out and put in some short alnico slugs that are A5. I could stick something on the bottom of it easily enough, but wonder if A3 or something else might be a good choice?

Greg
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I've also followed this advice from Sérgio. In my case I used a ceramic magnet from a dead hi gain pickup and stuck it to the magnets on the underside of the 12k bridge toaster pickup on my 381/6. the increased output was noticeable; the pickup output was equal or greater to that of the neck, whereas before it had been less. :D
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

rickcrazy wrote:If this toaster you wanna replace has short slugs, simply find a suitably sized, strong bar magnet and fit it to the underside of the pickup. It must span all six slugs - which are not to be removed, of course. The pickup will come alive, believe me, and it is a reversible mod.
This sounds interesting! I have no idea how to do this though- is it easy? I'm looking at my '68 375 and there are poles visible only on the bridge pickup. The other two do not have any poles visible at all- just a wire through to the cavity. I have a '66 365 that has poles that are (I assume) the long poles. This guitar sounds huge compared to the anemic strat sound of the 375.

Would would you recommend for a bigger sound and more gain?

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”