DIY beatle bass pups

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

DIY beatle bass pups

Post by kiramdear »

Hi Sergio

I've been thinking it would be a fun project to make some vintage hofner style pickups for my Turser beatle bass. It's a surprisingly good instrument with a good fat acoustic tone but the cheap modern pickups are the weak link in the chain. They have way too much gain and sound quite unlike the good old ones. Can you shine a light on my plans to build pickups of the c.1960 hofner era? I never tried to make a pickup, but I'm pretty handy with soldering and metalwork.
All I wanna do is rock!
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Re: DIY beatle bass pups

Post by rickcrazy »

Hi Kira!

As odd as this may sound, I'm not up on the exact early '60s Hofner bass pickup specs. Even though I've rewound a good deal (!) of them, I can't remember to what specs :| Having said that, I believe the Hofner tone to come not as much from the pickups proper but rather from both the instrument itself and the rather ingenious Hofner passive tone circuit. In other words, putting a Hofner pickup on a Rickenbacker bass, for instance, won't make the latter sound like a Hofner instrument. So, there you go.

I believe I have a couple original Hofner brass pickup baseplates + polepiece blocks somewhere around here. If you can use them, I'll gladly send them your way for free. :wink:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I agree with you, my bass has that acoustic hofner sound even with the cheap pickups. I think the instrument itself is the most important element of tone, then strings, then the pickups. I'll PM you for your generous offer. :D :D

Can you describe the ingenious tone circuit for me, Sergio?
All I wanna do is rock!
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Just sent you a PM, Kira.

Well, the Hofner passive tone circuit consists of a number of capacitors and resistors and three sliding switches which effectively alter the tone of the instrument - from thumping bass to crackling treble (Hey, that could describe the tone from a good, old 4001 bass I guess :wink: )

I don't happen to have the specific 500/1 bass tone circuit schematics though. Maybe you'll find it on the Hofner site.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

One can find all the diagrams and schematics for Hofner instruments here:

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/cont.html
All I wanna do is rock!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Yay! Sergio's gifts have arrived and I'm starting in to try to learn something and to make something from them.
Here's a real hofner pickup of the type I wish to build (yes I see it's a guitar pickup, but it's the only example I could find of a similar architecture):
ImageImageImageImage

I guess first thing I need is some bobbins and wire. The real bobbins look like this:Image
but I may have to fashion them from existing materials.
Anyone have an idea what gauge wire I should use?

Please feel free, anyone, to jump in here before I make a mess of things :D
All I wanna do is rock!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

You can't go wrong with #44 wire - more output, and much easier on the somewhat frail Höfner bobbins.

About a year ago I rewound a 1974 J-Bass pickup set using #44 wire (stuck to the original ohm rating though), thereby achieving a noticeable difference in output. This guy was way overjoyed with the result! So, again, stick with #44 wire. Cheers! :wink:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thanks for the links, John. The dating guide is interesting. The link to Bird amps is cool too.

And Sergio, thanks again. It's going a little slowly with the pickup project because I've got a lot on my table with the music right now, but we'll sort it all out in good time. .44 it shall be for the winding.

:D
All I wanna do is rock!
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Sergio,

Wouldn't 44 gauge wound to the same DC resistance as 42 gauge result in a thinner coil with less wire since 44 gauge will build up resistance faster than 42? I would think that would give you a weaker sound with more trebles and more compressed?

Greg
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hey Greg!

A thinner coil? Definitely, and desirably so - the closer the entire coil is to the polepieces, the better: noticeably more output is achieved. #44 wire is the way to go - just ask RIC! :wink:
Many years ago, I re-wound a 4001 treble (= bridge) pickup with #42 wire for installing on one of my now-gone 4001 basses with the treble-pass capacitor still on. I could only cram a mere 5.5/6.0 K into the bobbin, and once I put the pickup on said 4001 the output was less than exciting... :|
Once re-wound again with good old #44 wire to 9.0 K, though, the pickup had so much output - even through the .0047 cap - it sounded louder than the stock neck one! :idea: :mrgreen:
There you go.
All the best.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”