Bass Toasters

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Bass Toasters

Post by whojamfan »

I while back I got a bass toaster for my 4003AFG and threw it in the neck. I really like the sound, but the output is signifigantly less than the stock bridge pickup. I've screwed it up all the way to the top-even removing the rubber grommetts-and it still is quieter.

Did RIC ever make higher gain toasters for the bass, did they sound different or just louder, and would it be worth it to have it rewound?

Also, do the toaster covers fit the new bass hi gains? If so, does anyone know where I could get replacement pole pieces that would sit flush to the top of the pickup so the cover can be mounted properly?

Ultimately, I would like to have my toaster in the neck, and my hi gain with a toaster cover in the bridge if possible.

Thanks
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Bass Toasters

Post by jps »

The toasters in my two '73 4001s match quite well with that era hi-gain bridge pickups, so here is a question: are the newer/current hi-gains hotter than vintage hi-gains? This may help solve your balance issues. :wink:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Yes, Jeff.

Mike, the toaster is wound to 7.4k, but your bridge higain is wound to around 12k. You can lower the bridge pup, replace it with a 70s higain, live with it the way it is, or unwind your bridge higain to around 8.4k to be like the 70s pup.

As an aside and point of interest, my '93 V63 neck toaster is 14k, as is the RIHS in it. If you like the sound of your current bridge pup as it is, look for a guitar toaster that is 12-14k - they were made that way in the 90s.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I'm sure it would be more economical to have the bass toaster rewound. I like the sound of the toaster, just can't really balance it out. I've lowered the bridge to China and back, still no luck.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

whojamfan wrote:I'm sure it would be more economical to have the bass toaster rewound. I like the sound of the toaster...
By rewinding the toaster you will change the sound of it. :!: :wink:
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

jps wrote:
By rewinding the toaster you will change the sound of it. :!: :wink:[/quote]

Party pooper :( :lol:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

A Toaster in the 12-14k range looses all the charm that makes it a toaster and it takes on most of the characteristics of the higains. It will make the toaster less distinct.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

johnallg wrote:A Toaster in the 12-14k range looses all the charm that makes it a toaster and it takes on most of the characteristics of the higains. It will make the toaster less distinct.
You couldn't just lie to me? :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

whojamfan wrote:
johnallg wrote:A Toaster in the 12-14k range looses all the charm that makes it a toaster and it takes on most of the characteristics of the higains. It will make the toaster less distinct.
You couldn't just lie to me? :lol:
Face it, MIke, you can't mess with Father Rickenbacker! :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Just unwind the bridge higain to around 8.4k like the 70s higains.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

johnallg wrote:Just unwind the bridge higain to around 8.4k like the 70s higains.
+1

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”