Toaster and HiGain, which goes where?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

turnerawt

Toaster and HiGain, which goes where?

Post by turnerawt »

I have a Rickenbacker 330 which has 2 Hi Gain pickups.
Luckily, I got hold of (just) one (reissue) toaster pickup. I'm planning to replace one of the Hi Gain's with the toaster.
My question is where to put the toaster pickup to get the 60's jangly sound, but also maintain my early eighties REM Peter Buck sound? Anyone did this before?
And yes I know, two kinds of pickups on one Rickenbacker doesn't look cool :-)
ferguson6552

Re: Toaster and HiGain, which goes where?

Post by ferguson6552 »

I'd say put it in the bridge position. I spend 98% of my time on my Rics' bridge pickups.
Janglyman

Post by Janglyman »

I agree. The bridge it is.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Is your guitar a six or a twelve string?

It all depends on your individual preference, but bear in mind that with two pickups of the same output, the neck pickup will be louder. IIRC, neck and bridge hi gains both have the same output of 14K, but pluck the strings and flip your selector switch between the neck and bridge, with the blend knob pointed 100% at the neck p/up, and you'll notice that the neck pickup is audibly louder than the bridge.

The older reissue"hot" toasters of the 80s and 90s had a 12K output, and the differnce it output, neck to neck, or bridge to bridge, is not all that different, audibly, between a hi gain and a "hot" toaster.

The newer, lower output, original style 7.4K toasters will have a significantly lower output, audibly so, than the hi gain. The difference in output will be even more significant with the 7.4K toaster in the bridge, and the 14K hi gain in the neck.

If you use the middle position on your pickup selector switch with the blend knob 50/50, the neck hi gain is going to overpower/dominate the toaster wrt output.

If you're more inclined to using the bridge or neck, rather than the middle position, then go for it.

If you use lots of OD/distortion, I'd say use the hi gain in the bridge, and the toaster in the neck.

If your 330 is a 12 string, the 7.4K toaster is said to be a lot more "chimey" so place the toaster in whichever pickup spot you're already using most often, in order to maximize the "chimeyness/chiminess(sp?)" of the twelve string.
turnerawt

Post by turnerawt »

well, it is a 6 string. I've decided to put the toaster in the bridge position, but along with some other modifications I'm gonna do (like replacing the blend pot with a push/pull pot to insert a "vintage" .0047 cap in series with the bridge pickup), I'm planning on using connectors between the pickups and the controls. In this way I can change and test the pickup configuration without having to open up the control cavity and continously having to solder/desolder the leads.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”