They're nearly here!!!

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

geddeeee
Intermediate Member

They're nearly here!!!

Post by geddeeee »

I'm so excited!!! I sent my 4003 pickups to be unwound, by the legendary Sergio Silva, to 4001 specs.
These have now been done and should be winging their way back to me on Monday. I just cannot wait. The 'mud' of my 4003 should now be gone, and the Ricky 4001 twang should be in it's place.

The muddy sound was my only complaint on my Monty Brown 4003, even with the cap inline. Whatever I tried (eq, etc), I couldn't quite get 'that' sound. After reading about Sergio on these forums, I decided to take the plunge. Sergio tells me the pickups now read about 7.9K, and should sound gorgeous.

I will report back on the sound differences, when the pickups are home, and I have re-fitted them.....
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: They're nearly here!!!

Post by doctorwho »

Great news, Mark!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Do you have some recorded bass line noodling or track of the 4003 "before" so you can post the recordings, and give an A/B demo, before and after, so we can appreciate the tonal variances, when you get the new ones ?
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

I should be able to find some 'old' recordings. I'll post the 'before and after' when my 'new' pickups arrive.

Now.... the waiting!! Aaaah!!!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Mark, congrats. Sergio is the master. But be aware that a lot of the 70's 4001 "twang" and "that" sound is in the wood and construction. I've been through the pickup unwinding, putting a '73 neck higain in the neck of a '91 S bass, but didn't really get the sound I believe you are looking for until I got my '75 4001. Let us know your impressions, and the recordings of before and after will be most welcome.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Keep us updated when you get them.
Ka is a wheel.
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

John

I realise that a lot of the sound IS in the wood. My Monty is 2004, so I would not expect it to sound like a 1976 4001. LOL!! But with the unwind, I should see a loss of 'mud' and a bit more focus and definition to the tone, which is really what I'm after. I can then use my EQ's to coax out the 'missing' frequencies.

The countdown continues.......
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

They *will" be on their way back to you on monday, Mark :wink:

Thanks, guys. 8)
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

Thanks Sergio... I know, but the suspense is killing me LOL!!!

Been without my Rick for 2 weeks and I just can't wait.... Will be great to hear the old bird snarling again, but even more so. Also have an Orange Drop cap ready to drop in too. (And I know Sergio agrees with me on this point!!)
My Ashly SC40 preamps and Marshall VBA 400 have been soooo lonely. Christmas is coming early in my household.... LOL!!!
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

geddeeee wrote:John

I realise that a lot of the sound IS in the wood. My Monty is 2004, so I would not expect it to sound like a 1976 4001. LOL!! But with the unwind, I should see a loss of 'mud' and a bit more focus and definition to the tone, which is really what I'm after. I can then use my EQ's to coax out the 'missing' frequencies.

I did this mod on a 4003 that I had some years ago and for the same reasons. In some ways it worked but I feel that it spoilt the growl of the 4003. For me the 4003 should be hot and blury and the 4001 should be clear and warm...

Each to their own for sure! :wink:

emac.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

geddeeee wrote:John

Mark, that will be the case - there will be more definition to the notes and loss of "mud" or "confusion". That is also why I like the 6-8k pickups over the higher output ones.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

:wink:
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

Well. The pickups arrived today and have been re-fitted (with an Orange Drop .0047 cap!!)

Definitely a marked tonal improvement. Clearer, more mids and highs, and also tighter, more rounded bass end. Also more of that Ricky 'piano' type ring.

These pickups were unwound to around 7.9K by one of our brethren-- Sergio Silva. A really great job!!! I'm happy!!

I haven't noticed any drop in output either. I haven't had to turn my amp up any more than I did previously!
I will try and post some 'before' and 'after' sound clips, so anyone who's interested can hear the difference.

For the life of me I don't know why RIC started winding the pickups hotter. IMHO they should have stuck with the 7-8K windings. It gives a clearer output, and the 'dead' E string dilemma has disappeared.

So... happy days and happy clanking!!!!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Congrats, Mark! It'll be interesting to hear the before and after clips.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
collin

Post by collin »

Congrats, Mark!

Sergio is the BEST! :)

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”