How Do You Like To Set Your High Gains?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bcalvanese

How Do You Like To Set Your High Gains?

Post by bcalvanese »

I have a 330/6 and I would like to know how other people set their high gain pickups.

Do you set the pole pieces to follow the fret radious, screwed all the way in, or some other way?

Do you set the bridge pickup closer than the neck pickup, neck pickup closer than the bridge, or both the same?

Do you set the trebble side closer than the base side, base side closer than the trebble side, or both the same.

How close to or far away from the strings do you set your pickups?

If you set your pickups by measurements, do you measure from the top of the pole piece to the string, from the outer edge of the housing to the string, or the inner housing to the string?

If you set your pickups by measurement, do you measure with the strings held down at the last fret, not held down, or held down at a different point on the neck?

I like to experiment with this, and also like to hear how other people do it. It would open up new doors for me to further experiment...:)

Thanks in advance.
~bob~
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: How Do You Like To Set Your High Gains?

Post by jimk »

bcalvanese wrote:I have a 330/6 and I would like to know how other people set their high gain pickups.

Do you set the pole pieces to follow the fret radious, screwed all the way in, or some other way?
I finally set the pole pieces following the neck radius.
bcalvanese wrote: Do you set the bridge pickup closer than the neck pickup, neck pickup closer than the bridge, or both the same?
Bridge pickup is set closer to the strings.
bcalvanese wrote: Do you set the treble side closer than the base side, base side closer than the treble side, or both the same.
Both are set the same.
bcalvanese wrote: How close to or far away from the strings do you set your pickups?
I did it just by sighting alone. I never measured the distance. If the guitar sounded right to me, that was good enough.
JimK
Clint
Intermediate Member

Re: How Do You Like To Set Your High Gains?

Post by Clint »

I have two guitars with Hi Gains but both are the older style without adjustable pole pieces. The buttons follow the radius. As for height adjustment, I think mine sound best with the pickups screwed down as far as they go. It drops the output a touch and adds a little more "air" to the tone.

Adjusting pickups can be a very subtle and personal exercise. When it sounds right to you it is right.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”