Can I Put a Toaster Cover on a Hi-Gain?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I've heard of people doing this with a Humbucker but i'm wondering if it's possible with a Hi-Gain. (Later style with pole piece covers)
I have Hi-Gains on my Rick, love the way they sound, but I (like everyone else) love the way Toasters look. I want to get the look but still be able to easily put it back to stock. POTR has the covers but i'd like to know if it would work first.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: Can I Put a Toaster Cover on a Hi-Gain?

Post by ken_j »

Yes it can be done. The method varies depending on the version of high gain you have. RIC will sell the covers even though they are not in the boutique.
"The best things in life aren't things."
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

These are the ones I have.

scotty

Post by scotty »

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

It's a little more tricky to perform the necessary surgery with the older hi-again pickups............ but the good news is that it can be done. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

What model Ric is yours ?? Looks like maybe a 480/481 perhaps with the bass style pickguard ?
Good luck on your Toasterization project. The threads referenced by Scotty can help get you there ..... :)
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

8mileshigher wrote:What model Ric is yours ?? Looks like maybe a 480/481 perhaps with the bass style pickguard ?
Good luck on your Toasterization project. The threads referenced by Scotty can help get you there ..... :)
Yeah, 480. I read through those threads and the methods listed all pertain to the later adjustable hi-gains. I've seen people say it's possible with the older style but has anyone actually done it? Plus i'm not really looking to make permanant changes to the existing pickups. I'd do it to a new guitar but not to a vintage. I'm mostly looking for a cosmetic solution that dosen't require non-reversable surgery.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Personally id just find a set of 12K toasters... :wink:
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

That older style high gain is constructed with the windings directly on the pole pieces. I would be hesitant of modding these pickups. I have modded the next generation of high gains with the push pin pole pieces. The even newer high gain with the adjustable poles would also be easy to do.
"The best things in life aren't things."
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Don't risk killing those beauties, just pony up for a new pair of high gains and covers, I'm willing to bet that if you don't like the end result, many a forumite here would be happy to take them off your hands for minimal, if any, loss on your purchase price.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

If I may "cut in" :mrgreen: yeah, leave those old high-gains well alone. 8)
Chris82

Post by Chris82 »

My hi-gains are from '02. Would it be easy to put toaster covers on them? What all would be invloved? Would it be just removing the pole pieces and switching out the covers? How much are the unadvertised covers through the Ric boutique?

-Chris
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Toaster covers are usually $25 at the company Boutique or as POTR.

For the pre-2006 Hi Gains, you will have to deal with the pole-pieces, as Forum members have outlined in the referenced threads.
Chris82

Post by Chris82 »

Hmm, I might just wait and splurge on proper toasters then.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”