Hi-Gain pickups rewind?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

tnelson

Hi-Gain pickups rewind?

Post by tnelson »

my HiGain pickups are weak. trying to decide if I need to switch them or get them rewound
thoughts/ideas?
analogpackrat

Re: Hi-Gain pickups rewind?

Post by analogpackrat »

What kind of amp are you using? Do you use pedals? What other guitars are you using for comparison? What kind of tones are you trying to get?

I don't find the hi-gains in two of my Ricks to be weak, but I use mid-70s Fender amps. You might consider a cleanish boost pedal if you want to push your amp's front-end harder. I would do this before rewinding. You can sell a boost pedal if you don't like it, but I'm not sure what you'd get for over-wound hi-gains.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
tnelson

Post by tnelson »

I use a AC-30, I have a Seymour Duncan pickup boost but I like to switch it on for leads, my multimeter stopped working so I havent been able to check them.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Try adjusting the height of your pickups relative to the strings. You may need to bring them up a tad so you can get a bit more bite when you attack the strings hard.......when you play lead for example .

I have a few amps to choose from but I do use a Vox AC30 VR and my 350 has "toasterized" high gains. I can get some great tones and lots of sustain with that guitar and amp. Just a few millimeters can make a huge difference.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

If that doesn't work, just stick another bar magnet on the underside of the p/up; it will boost output, and it's prolly a lot cheaper than a rewind!
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

The first thing is to get a new multi meter to check if the pickup is to spec..
If they are 70s-80s they should be 7.5kish if they are about 1990 onwards they should be 12kish
If they are not in the ballpark then you need further investigation to see what has gone wrong...

emac.
tnelson

Post by tnelson »

yeah Im going to buy a new mutlimeter, will adding another bar mag really add more output? where can you buy a bar magnet and would I need a ceramic (I assume?) or alnico?
If that doesnt work I might look into some newer higains when did they go to 12K? , I really DO NOT want to retro fit GFS Ive youtubed those an I dont hear much difference :roll:
thanks for the help
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

my 90s higains are strong, i have to back them down away from the strings. you can also bypass the tone control and/or volume controls, that adds more welly to the pickups
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Um, with due respect to the above posters, hi-gains from any era can be almost anything. I've seen them as low as 6.1kohms, and as high as 14kohms. One cause of a weak pickup is if there is something preventing the bar magnet on the bottom making good clean contact with the polepieces. That happened to me when I cracked a high gain magnet. I had to be very careful with the epoxy to make sure a film did not get between the magnet and the poles.

Also, as stated above, output in relation to distance from the strings varies as the square of the distance from the strings, so a little bit closer should make a significant difference in perceived output.
bluegrassmoker

Post by bluegrassmoker »

interesting...
http://www.sundlofengineering.com

Modifications, Restorations, Innovations and one of a kind creations...

http://www.myspace.com/patrickgrigsbysundlof
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

What year guitar are your pickups from?

Greg

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”