How many ohm toasters for jazz?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

DavidW

How many ohm toasters for jazz?

Post by DavidW »

If one wanted to use a Rick with toaster pickups primarily for jazz, how many ohms would you recommend the toasters be? Not sure if anyone has input on this, but anything would be appreciated. I'm thinking around 7-7.5ohms, but can't say for sure.
paologregorio

Re: How many ohm toasters for jazz?

Post by paologregorio »

If you have a set of "hot" toasters, don't unwind them; a few members here are looking for a set of hot toasters and they'd be willing to buy the set from you. 7.4k ohm toasters are available at the RIC boutique.

I like the 12K for any six string work myself, but that's just my personal preference. I think the hotter toasters have more bottom and mid range.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

paologregorio wrote:If you have a set of "hot" toasters, don't unwind them; a few members here are looking for a set of hot toasters and they'd be willing to buy the set from you. 7.4k ohm toasters are available at the RIC boutique.

I like the 12K for any six string work myself, but that's just my personal preference. I think the hotter toasters have more bottom and mid range.
I quite agree...........as always. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Sorry, mine are around 6 ohms, I was thinking of winding them up.

It's interesting that you guys say that considering that there were plenty of Rick jazz players back in the 50s and I believe they used pickups somewhere in the park of 6-7.5k ohms correct?
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

My former 360V64 had 12k toasters and the front pickup would get some great jazz tones.
"The best things in life aren't things."
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

DavidW wrote:Sorry, mine are around 6 ohms, I was thinking of winding them up.

It's interesting that you guys say that considering that there were plenty of Rick jazz players back in the 50s and I believe they used pickups somewhere in the park of 6-7.5k ohms correct?
True, but those were the only pickups they had available to them, so they made the best of what was available. Brian and I have played with both in our six string Ricks, so we can compare the tonal qualities, something 50s era Rick jazz players couldn't do.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I think one Om would be enough for jazz. :shock:
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Haha jeffrey, I can't say that I enjoy that band one bit.

Paul, that's a fair point. My biggest dilemma is that I'm in the middle of restoring an old Capri that I'd like to use primarily for jazz work, but I'd like to retain that vintage sound at the same time. Guess I can't have it all, though. It'd be great if I could coil tap between 7k ohms to 12k ohms, but that's beyond my knowledge. :oops:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

David, I though the old Capri-era toasters were in the 5k ohm range. You could unwind a current 7.4k toaster to that range.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Hey John, I believe that it varied since they were all hand wound during that era? For example, I'm lead to believe that John Lennon's Rick was only somewhere around 4 ohms. Thanks for the tip though. I suppose I'll just have to try a few different windings and see which is best, even if it is a bit of a pain in the a** :roll:

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”