Strange RIHS effect

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Strange RIHS effect

Post by jps »

We'll be waiting for the electrician you. 8)
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

My buddy Brian is a great electrician,but he shouldn't listen to anything that I have to add to it. We will get it right when I get back. The next time, maybe I'll be sharp enough to do it myself. If I had thought about it, I would have come to you guys first. Live and learn. Mark
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

OK, I'm back home, and I've got a brand new RIHS from Ric here with all new mounting screws for the surround and pickguard. I will have to take this to Brian, my electrician buddy, because he has the soldering iron. My question is exactly what wire gets soldered to what? I don't know if what is there now is right. I want to get it right the first time. Unlike last time, I want to check in with you folks first. All help graciously excepted. Mark
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

As the pickup is new all your electrician buddy (EB) need to do is solder the ends of the grey lead to the correct places on the wiring harness; the hot wire to the lug on the selector switch and the braided shield to the case of the neck pickup volume pot. The black wire with the round lug on it should be slipped on to the treble side height adjustment screw for the pickup, between the top of the spring and the underside of the pickup surround.

Here is a schematic of the wiring from RIC that can guide EB.

And here is a photo of my former July '73 4001's wiring harness so that EB can see where the wires go:
4001 Control-Wiring_800_02.jpg
The grey lead that has the 90º curve to the left coming up from the bottom of the photo is the one coming from the bridge pickup.
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

And Jeffrey, here you are, bailing me out again. I'll print out your instructions and picture, and go see if Brian feels like doing this now. I'll get back to you with results. Mark
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Glad to help! 8)
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Help anybody, does the shielding have to be soldered to the neck pup tone pot, or can it be soldered to the volume pot? Mark
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

To clarify my last post, I have had the pot positions switched. The volume pots are closest to the "G" string and the tone pots below them. I like it better that way. Does it matter where the shielding gets soldered? Mark
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

You can solder it to the volume pot, no problem, just as long as the case is grounded to something. The important thing is to have the braided shield connected to ground.
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

I managed to figure that out Bro. I would like to say I have installed the RIHS, but that would be a fib. My friend Brian soldered it in with your excellent instructions. We looked at "Ric" diagrams for V63 wiring and you and CJ's pictures and got it done. Haven't tried it yet. Off to the store for new strings when the wife gets home. I'll keep you posted. Again Bro, thank you, and all, for the help. Mark
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Restrung and tuned. Much fuller tone than before. Much better sustain, especially low on the "E" string. A much brighter tone than the other pickup. Yes, I still notice just a hint of the aforementioned effect, but not nearly as much as before. All in all, a very satisfactory upgrade. To all who helped me, thanks. To Jeffrey, my special thanks, Mark

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”