My Hi-Gain isn't.

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

epoch

My Hi-Gain isn't.

Post by epoch »

Maybe this is normal, but when I compare the output, the volume, the drive of my bridge pup in my 1996 360, to my chinese telecaster and my 2010 LP studio, it's about 75% of the output of those guitars. And it's also quieter than the neck pup by a bit (maybe 10% quieter).

Is this expected? I measured the impedance (at the jack) and it's about 9.5k. Is that normal? Should I just swap it out for one of the adjustable-pole new models? Rewind? Or something else.

Thanks guys.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: My Hi-Gain isn't.

Post by ken_j »

Seems correct compared to the LP. I haven't a clue about the Tele.
"The best things in life aren't things."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zaq, that "sounds" about right to me for a late 1990s high gain. Measuring at the jack will be different than if you measure the pickup by itself. Gain is a relative thing, of course, and compared to the RIC toaster pickup, the high gain is just that. I suspect that Sergio will have a better explanation. Based on what you say, however, I don't think that your observations fall outside the limits of the norm.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

8) Yes, such slight difference in output is to be expected when the bridge pickup on your guitar has the same specs as the neck one. One obvious answer to the problem is raising the treble pickup closer to the strings, and lowering the bass one until even outputs are achieved. Also, a stronger magnet on the treble pickup will increase output noticeably. 9.5 K? Sounds perfectly right to me. :wink:
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

also remember, just because there is and expected resistance in the coil does not mean it will be louder or softer. this will affect tone yes but the magnet power will have a lot to do with it's output as well as tone. 13k of windings will do nothing with a dead magnet. some of those asian instruments have powerful magnet structures.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”