rick bass bridge pickup

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

radway75

rick bass bridge pickup

Post by radway75 »

hi, is there anyone who could give me info on how to build a rick hi gain bridge pickup..like parts used/size and dimensions and some guidence on where to start..i know it would be easier to buy one but i like a challange!! thanks
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Re: rick bass bridge pickup

Post by rickcrazy »

PM sent. 8)
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I believe I still have a new bridge higain bobbin with the adjustable poles around here somewhere. Let me know if you need it and I'll dig around and see if I can find it.
radway75

Post by radway75 »

That would be really helpfull...thanks john :)
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

radway75 wrote:That would be really helpfull...thanks john :)
I do have one with the winding on it also, but the coil is open. The wire that goes to the outside of the coil is pulled loose so I am guessing that is the problem. I could open it up and see if I can find the wire and reattach the lead-out wire, but you said you wanted to do the wind. I can let it go for $70 shipped.
higain with adjustable (855 x 639).jpg
higain with adjustable 2 (855 x 639).jpg
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

If he doesn't want it, I would be interested John. Do you know what era that pickup is from? Send me a PM if he doesn't go for the pickup otherwise I may not see it for weeks!

Greg
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

soundmasterg wrote:If he doesn't want it, I would be interested John. Do you know what era that pickup is from? Send me a PM if he doesn't go for the pickup otherwise I may not see it for weeks!

Greg
Greg, it is a year or two old. If I get bored I just may un-tape it and see if I can get it reconnected and working again. I COULD unwind it (to really sound great) to 8k ohms I guess.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I think they sound a lot better at 70's specs...like 8k to 10k myself. I have a newer one in my bass now and its too hot. A dead one would be good for what I want to experiement with rather than messing up a perfectly good pickup.

Greg
radway75

Post by radway75 »

hi john..sorry for the late reply, been on holiday :) thanks for the offer but i think i'd to to have a go at a build from scratch so if Greg wants it then he's welcome...thanks again for the offer!!!
tom
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Okay Tom. I did look at it and it has no winding on it. Bare bobbin. Forgot I completely unwound it. If you still don't want I'll PM Greg.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

I have a nearly complete pickup in my tin as well, that I wanting to find a new home for...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=406086

Eden
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
radway75

Post by radway75 »

Thanks for the offer Eden, but i think i gradually getting my head around building one....with alot of help from Sergio Silva!!!
Thanks anyway!!!

p.s If it all goes horribly wrong i might get back to you :)
radway75

Post by radway75 »

johnallg wrote:Okay Tom. I did look at it and it has no winding on it. Bare bobbin. Forgot I completely unwound it. If you still don't want I'll PM Greg.
Thanks John, i think I'm on the right track now but thanks all the same for your kind offer!!
Regards
Tom

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”