Older high gain pickups

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Older high gain pickups

Postby (soundmasterg) » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:41 am

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knows when they stopped with the 70's style weaker high gain pickups and starting winding them past 10k? Also when did they stop with the seperate top and bottom bobbins and go with the modern black plastic molded bobbins?

I was thinking mid to late 80's was when they started winding them hotter, but don't know for sure....anyone have the skinny?

Thanks!

Greg
User avatar
(soundmasterg)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:06 pm
Location: Cornelius, Oregon, USA

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (johnallg) » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:20 pm

User avatar
(johnallg)
Rick-a-holic
 
Posts: 17688
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (soundmasterg) » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:09 am

Thank you John, he did....I forgot about that article he posted! I got the answer I needed to know.

Greg
User avatar
(soundmasterg)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:06 pm
Location: Cornelius, Oregon, USA

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (LenMinNJ) » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:20 pm

User avatar
(LenMinNJ)
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:08 am

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (johnallg) » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:36 pm

soundmasterg wrote:Thank you John, he did....I forgot about that article he posted! I got the answer I needed to know.

Greg

I'd forgotten also. It took a while to even find the thread finding the right words to put into the search function. There are 6 or 7 IIRC and they used to be stickies. It would be nice to have them stickies again, maybe above the Vibrola forum.
User avatar
(johnallg)
Rick-a-holic
 
Posts: 17688
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (soundmasterg) » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:28 pm

johnallg wrote:
soundmasterg wrote:Thank you John, he did....I forgot about that article he posted! I got the answer I needed to know.

Greg

I'd forgotten also. It took a while to even find the thread finding the right words to put into the search function. There are 6 or 7 IIRC and they used to be stickies. It would be nice to have them stickies again, maybe above the Vibrola forum.


I agree with that idea!

I picked up some 6 pole hi gains from 1986...the neck pickup is 7.15k and the bridge is a whopping 17.2k! I plan to back that off a bit. These will go into a 2006 BBR 360/6...I'm aiming for the early to mid 80's REM/Johnny Marr tones, so I think if I back off the bridge pickup to somewhere between 7k and 10k it should be about right...but I will have to experiment with it. I could have unwound the stock pickups but I think the non-molded bobbin ones are superior in a number of respects so I went with those.

Greg
User avatar
(soundmasterg)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:06 pm
Location: Cornelius, Oregon, USA

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (heinpete) » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:37 pm

My original `74 neck PU has 9.6 kOhms! The bridge PU was dead, now asking Sérgio to fix it also for about 10kOhms. Sérgio calling!!! :D You've got PM!
User avatar
(heinpete)
Veteran RRF member
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 10:08 pm
Location: Frankfurt a.M. , Germany

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (soundmasterg) » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:54 am

heinpete wrote:My original `74 neck PU has 9.6 kOhms! The bridge PU was dead, now asking Sérgio to fix it also for about 10kOhms. Sérgio calling!!! :D You've got PM!


I can attest that around 10k matches well with the neck pickup in my 360/6. I'm sure that you can make it work fine on yours with some pickup adjustment. To my ears, the older hi gains sound way better than the newer hotter ones!

Greg
User avatar
(soundmasterg)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:06 pm
Location: Cornelius, Oregon, USA

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (paologregorio) » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:28 am

I'll trade you my 8K bridge hi-gain for the 17.2K hi-gain; I love overwound Rick p/ups in the bridge.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
User avatar
(paologregorio)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6364
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA, United States of America

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (johnallg) » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:35 pm

soundmasterg wrote:
heinpete wrote:My original `74 neck PU has 9.6 kOhms! The bridge PU was dead, now asking Sérgio to fix it also for about 10kOhms. Sérgio calling!!! :D You've got PM!


I can attest that around 10k matches well with the neck pickup in my 360/6. I'm sure that you can make it work fine on yours with some pickup adjustment. To my ears, the older hi gains sound way better than the newer hotter ones!

Greg

My feeling with the bass pickups also.
User avatar
(johnallg)
Rick-a-holic
 
Posts: 17688
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (soundmasterg) » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:13 am

johnallg wrote:
soundmasterg wrote:
heinpete wrote:My original `74 neck PU has 9.6 kOhms! The bridge PU was dead, now asking Sérgio to fix it also for about 10kOhms. Sérgio calling!!! :D You've got PM!


I can attest that around 10k matches well with the neck pickup in my 360/6. I'm sure that you can make it work fine on yours with some pickup adjustment. To my ears, the older hi gains sound way better than the newer hotter ones!

Greg

My feeling with the bass pickups also.


+1...completely agree here, though I think the newer hi gains match the 1 inch spacing pretty good.

paologregorio wrote:I'll trade you my 8K bridge hi-gain for the 17.2K hi-gain; I love overwound Rick p/ups in the bridge.


Its not 17.2k anymore....thats the one I unwound to around 10k...17.2k was WAY too compressed and dark, even for the bridge position. I was surprised it was wound that hot for an older pickup....it sounds light years better now for my taste.

Greg
User avatar
(soundmasterg)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:06 pm
Location: Cornelius, Oregon, USA

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (johnallg) » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:09 pm

soundmasterg wrote:
johnallg wrote:
soundmasterg wrote:I can attest that around 10k matches well with the neck pickup in my 360/6. I'm sure that you can make it work fine on yours with some pickup adjustment. To my ears, the older hi gains sound way better than the newer hotter ones!

Greg

My feeling with the bass pickups also.


+1...completely agree here, though I think the newer hi gains match the 1 inch spacing pretty good.

Greg

For my ears and taste, the new higains give up too much note delineation/definition that the 8k higains excel at, along with the toasters.
User avatar
(johnallg)
Rick-a-holic
 
Posts: 17688
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Re: Older high gain pickups

Postby (soundmasterg) » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:21 am

johnallg wrote:For my ears and taste, the new higains give up too much note delineation/definition that the 8k higains excel at, along with the toasters.


I completely agree....though as I said before, if you're stuck using the hotter hi gains, then the 1" spacing on the basses works better than the 1/2" spacing does, to my ears....on the guitars I can't stand the hotter pickups except for the HB2 humbuckers in my 230....those pickups work for certain things and are pretty bright and hot thanks to a narrow sensing window and the samarium cobalt magnets. I wouldn't be surprised if RIC put the adjustable poles on just to try to get back some of the high end they lost by winding more wire on....but the problem at least with the hi gains is the molded bobbin...it moves the wire out further from the pole pieces when compared to the older style separate flatwork hi gains and that makes the AC resistance go up in relation to the DC resistance and makes the pickups more muddy and less articulate. When I get some time I want to try some toasters with 42 and 43 gauge formvar....more like the 50's ones. I do have a toaster with 9.5k of 43 gauge PE on it....thats as much wire that can fit on the bobbin. Haven't had a chance to try it in anything yet. One of these days....if its too hot I can unwind until it sounds the way I want it to...

greg
User avatar
(soundmasterg)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:06 pm
Location: Cornelius, Oregon, USA


Return to Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests