Putting a toaster pickup in....a telecaster

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

DavidW

Putting a toaster pickup in....a telecaster

Post by DavidW »

Hey guys, I know this might sound like sacrilege, but I'd like to try putting a toaster pickup inside the neck position of my telecaster. I've got one that's no good, so could use that as a bass and send it to somebody to have it rewound or could have somebody start from scratch and just use the cover.

In all honesty I’m not too concerned with staying true to the vintage rick toaster specs as I’m not sure if they’ll even get me what I’m looking for.

I’d like to get a nice clean and bell like tone, but also be able to roll it off and get a nice round and warm jazz tone. I’d also like it to maintain the clarity and dynamic response that’s typical of single coils.

Do you guys think this might be possible?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Putting a toaster pickup in....a telecaster

Post by aceonbass »

While It's certainly possible, and not sacrilege, I think you'd get the same result sonically from any 8K single coil pickup using Alnico magnets.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Any 8k single coil? If I'm being truthful part of the reason is for the aesthetic and uniqueness factor.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

To be honest, aesthetically I think any RIC pickup looks out of place on a non RIC instrument. Like when someone thinks that putting a RIC pickup in any other guitar will make it sound like a Rick, which it won't.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I guess we've got different tastes then :D
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I have a RIC humbucker in my custom half-fanned P/J bass in the same relative position as the D-G segment of a P-bass pickup. It still sounds like a P-bass, but with a little bit of edge to it.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”