Another Night: The Sire Recordings 1979–1981

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
neilhunt

Another Night: The Sire Recordings 1979–1981

Post by neilhunt »

I know this forum is pretty quiet but here's some news of note. Awful artwork, but this looks like a winner otherwise:

2-CD collection of British Invasion superstars’ return. Contains 29 tracks from all versions of the albums, including B-sides and different mixes plus one previously unissued track!
http://omnivorerecordings.com/music/ano ... 1979-1981/

During the British Invasion, there was another Liverpool band topping the charts worldwide. The Searchers had 11 Top 40 hits between 1963 and 1966 in the U.K., including 3 #1s with “Needles And Pins,” “Sweets For My Sweet,” and “Don’t Throw Our Love Away.” They had 8 in the U.S. including their #3 cover of “Love Potion No. 9.” By the end of the decade, their chart presence may have slowed down, but The Searchers didn’t.

The band continued to hone their sound on the live circuit, adding a modern musical crunch to their incredible harmonies. After seeing the band perform, Sire Records head Seymour Stein offered them a home on his new wave flagship label (Ramones, Talking Heads, Dead Boys, and soon, Pretenders).

The Searchers returned in 1979 with a self-titled release, featuring originals and covers of tracks from Tom Petty, The Records, Bob Dylan, and the Mickey Jupp-penned “Switchboard Susan”—a concurrent hit for Nick Lowe. Produced by Pat Moran (Be Bop Deluxe, Dr. Feelgood, and Rush—yes, that Rush), it was a sonic powerhouse. They quickly followed that album the following year with Love’s Melodies (titled Play For Today in the U.K.), with Ed Stasium (Ramones, Talking Heads, Smithereens) joining Moran as co-producer. More originals, and more covers (Big Star, John Fogerty, and others), and another great album.

Both records were released multiple times in different territories, with different track lists, B-sides, and mixes. They have been unavailable for the past decade. Another Night: The Sire Recordings 1979-1981 straightens out and corrects all those matters by compiling everything onto one 2-CD set. The collection features 29 tracks and also includes a previously unissued cover of John Hiatt’s “Ambulance Chaser.”

Packaging contains album cover artwork from the different territories, and an essay from Scott Schinder, with new interviews from the band’s John McNally and Frank Allen. These recordings have continued to loom large in the hearts of Searchers fans. They need to search no more with Another Night: The Sire Recordings 1979-1981.

CD/Digital Track List:
Disc 1:

1. HEARTS IN HER EYES
2. SWITCHBOARD SUSAN
3. FEELING FINE
4. THIS KIND OF LOVE AFFAIR
5. LOST IN YOUR EYES
6. IT’S TOO LATE
7. NO DANCING
8. COMING FROM THE HEART
9. DON’T HANG ON
10. LOVE’S GONNA BE STRONG
11. IT’S TOO LATE (Alternate Mix)
12. LOVE’S MELODY (Alternate Mix)
13. SILVER (Alternate Mix)

Disc 2:
1. SILVER
2. INFATUATION
3. SHE MADE A FOOL OF YOU
4. ALMOST SATURDAY NIGHT
5. LITTLE BIT OF HEAVEN
6. YOU ARE THE NEW DAY
7. LOVE’S MELODY
8. EVERYTHING BUT A HEARTBEAT
9. RADIO ROMANCE
10. MURDER IN MY HEART
11. SEPTEMBER GURLS
12. ANOTHER NIGHT
13. SICK AND TIRED
14. CHANGING
15. BACK TO THE WAR
16. AMBULANCE CHASER*

* Previously Unissued.
mdenger
Veteran RRF member

Re: Another Night: The Sire Recordings 1979–1981

Post by mdenger »

As far as I found out the release date will be Dec. 8th.

Michael
mdenger
Veteran RRF member

Post by mdenger »

I received my copy on Saturday. Ambulance Chaser was the main reason to buy it Now it's clear why it was never published. It just doesn't have the equal quality of the whole Sire recordings and wouldn't have fit to those two superb LPs. But it's not a bad song - average level. Included is a booklet with some remarks by Frank. The alterate versions Love's Melody and Silver seem to from the British LP "Searchers" second issue. It's Too Late differs a bit from the well known version, mainly drums and lead guitar.

Michael
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Here you go Ambulance Chaser

https://streamable.com/6u8ln

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”