Why as many posts on the Searchers as the Beatles?

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

FatRat,

Perhaps the question you should ask yourself is why the Byrds have as many posts as the Searchers, since their music is so derivative of the Searchers' sound. Try listening to the chord run on "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better" REALLY closely, and you'll see what I mean. If that doesn't convince you check out the liner notes on Chris Hillman's solo LP last year for "When You Walk In the Room".

The Searchers are probably the most influential, yet underrated band in the history of British Rock in particular, and Rock in general. They invented a guitar style/sound you can hear in the music of everyone from Tom Petty to the Coors. They perfected the close harmony/ guitar sound that put Liverpool on the map. They were the first big act to do folk rock- Remember "What Have They Done To the Rain"?.

To compare the Searchers to the transitory stardom of Billy J. Kramer, et al is an insult. They belong (in my opinion, although for different reasons) in the same sentence with theBeatles. They were original, innovative, and the technically best musicians to come out of the British Invasion.They belong in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.
May I suggest you give a listen to their "30th Anniversary" 3 CD set, and the "Sire Sessions" CD, and then, I think, you'll know what you've been missing, and why this site has so many posts.
You play the hand they deal you
FTRT

Post by FTRT »

Im not putting them down I just want to know more about them....I was just trying to figure out why they are so popular...what Rickenbackers did they use in 1964???
I like Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas and Gerry and the Pacemakers so I dont think it was a put down..I always thought the Searchers sounded more American...I just didnt think that the Searchers did anything all that earth shattering after 66....Did they write their own music and lyrics?? what did they do after Sgt Pepper ????
just wondering if they went through a phychedelic faze or just kept playing Needles and pins, love P. # 9...
Do you think they were as good as the Beatles as far as lyric/music writing goes??? I know what you were saying when you said that the Searchers were better at playing their instruments,alot of bands were better than the Beatles in that department, but I dont think the Beatles sucked, they came up with some pretty cool stuff in geetar....
I'll try to pick up that 3 cd set see what I think now....
thanks for the info....

FATRAT II
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

FatRat

Check out the "Sire Sessions" CD. It's later material (recorded in 79 &80), and includes group songs, as well as Alex Chilton, J.C Fogerty and other writers. On that one they were playing 2 12 strings most of the time.

The Searchers wrote quite a few tunes, mostly "B" sides, mostly (in the early days) by the drummer Chris Curtis. The only hit single they wrote (top 40) was "He's Got No Love". They also wrote one of their last (unsuccessful) singles called "Second Hand Dealer". However, their forte was covering fairly obscure records of other artists:"Needles and Pins"(Jackie DeShannon), "Don't Throw Your Love Away"(The Orlons), "Have You ever Loved Somebody"(Hollies), "Take It or Leave It"(Stones).

Your comment about them sounding American is interesting. It was the reason they were John Lennon's favorite Liverpool group-they all wanted to sound American.

The Searchers hit the big slide late '65 into '66. They suffered their second member defection (and the one they never really recovered from), when Chris Curtis quit. (Tony Jackson was gone in '64. Records were sporadic at best. (Ditto the quality). "Hearts in Her Eyes" could have jumpstarted their careers, but distribution problems screwed the pooch on that one. Now they tour and do clubs, pubs and vacation spots all over Europe and visit the States occasionally.

Did they write as well as the Beatles-no way. But they polished any song they got and made it better, and they played and harmonized in a league of their own. As for which Ricks they used, check the topic headings on this site. There's a lot of info on that topic.

Hope this has been some help. Nice "talking to you". By the bye- I like Billy J Kramer and Gerry Marsden myself, but I just don't think they're on the Searchers' level for either musicianship, or influence. Let me know how you like the music.

PS: If you like "live", there's an old LP on Mercury called "Hear! Hear!"-live at the Star Club (has a great, all guitar version of "What'd I Say"), and you can get a CD of their live show now from their website.
RAT

Post by RAT »

I have my eye on a 3 cd set of Searchers on Ebay, Im going to start off with the 60s stuff for now....Did the Searchers use Rickenbackers on the older toons, I get the feeling they didnt....
I love all that old Brit invasion stuff....
I understand were your coming from on the Gerry and Billy comment, they were ok musically and didnt really influence too many after them but I like all of it, Im not crazy about Hermans Hermit or anything like that though, I can still listen to it, but you know what I mean...I like Freddie and the Dreamers ok...."do the freddie"
Im looking for some Nashville Teens, Cilla Black and Johnny Kidd and the pirates, right now...
hard to find....
see ya thanks for the info...
RATImage
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Searchers used a Rickenbacker for the first time on "When You Walk In The Room."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
RAT

Post by RAT »

Im not up on these guys, what year was that??

thanks for the info PETER M....

RAT Image
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

Rat,

"When You Walk in the Room" was late '64. I believe Mike used a Rickenbacker on most of the recordings from then on.Peter would know.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You are right as far as I am concerned John. Mike Pender claims to have used his Rickenbacker on many recordings and live performances from the "When You Walk In The Room" recording onward. He and Chris Curtis say George Harrison's Rickenbacker and thought that the sound was great and would give The Searchers' a bit of a new sound of sorts. You can't argue with them on their choice of sound or instrument.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
TomRat

Post by TomRat »

thanks for the information guys, Im trying to track down some of the 60s stuff.....
TomRat

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”