Why as many posts on the Searchers as the Beatles?

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
Rod_Evans

Why as many posts on the Searchers as the Beatles?

Post by Rod_Evans »

I am only in my early 20's and don't know of any other Searcher's songs besides "Needles and Pins".
What should I check out? What are your favorites?
I can see that they have a lot of interest through the number of postings. I want to check them out
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rod: Thanks for your post. As a starting CD I would recommend The Searchers' Greatest Hits (Rhino, 1988).
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rod: The Searchers came from Liverpool and were contemporaries of The Beatles and at one time during the early years were considered to be second only to the Fab Four in the port city. Those people who focused on The Beatles in the 1960s and were interested in the "Liverpool Sound" or the "Mersey Beat" certainly were very familiar with The Searchers.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

Rod,

Any of their greatest hits CD's would be good, especially their 30th Anniversary Box Set. I'd also recommend their Live CD, and the Sire Sessions CD from the 79- 80 period.If you like following the evolution of their sound, check out the live stuff from the early days in the Star Club in Germany. You're gonna hear the best harmony/ guitar band there ever was.
You play the hand they deal you
RJHC

Post by RJHC »

_GET YOURSELF A GOOD TURNTABLE AND GET THE FIVE

KAPP ALBUMS . THEN GET "HEAR HERE" , "MEET THE

RATTLES" , AND THE TWO SIRE ALBUMS .
Marty

Post by Marty »

I don't know a lot about the Searchers. So today while I have to follow my girlfriend around shopping (ha!), maybe I can find a Searchers CD and hear some new Rickenbacker tones.

Merry Christmas to Searcher fans!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marty: I hope you were able to find a Searchers' CD. The Rickenbacker tones you will hear include Frank Allen's Model 4001 Bass; John McNally's Model 620/12; and during Mike Pender's time his Model 1993 12 string and his Model 450/12. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy.

S.J._Dibai

Post by S.J._Dibai »

Greetings, Searchers fans! Rod--I'm 19 myself, and I love The Searchers. If you like classy pop/rock with killer guitars, excellent drumming, and first-rate harmonies, you will not be disappointed by any good Searchers collection. Although here in the States it's just "Needles and Pinza" ("Pinzer" in the UK!) and "Love Potion Number Nine" that get a lot of airplay, a listen to the 30th Anniversary Collection will show a much greater versatility than these hits may suggest. Pop ballads, folk standards, Merseybeat, twelve-string folk-rock--you name it. If you're not sure you'd enjoy a three-disc set of the band's work, then maybe the 30th Anniversary Collection should not be your first pick, but I bought it recently and I love it. My favorite song on the collection is "Goodbye My Love"--any song that can make "goodbye" a thirteen syllable word is okay in my book! (There's a great story behind that record, too, on Mike Denger's site--URL, anyone?) They recorded a great many quality interpretations of often obscure American songs as A-sides and the B-sides are great ways to see their talents as songwriters. And even the much maligned 1965 single "When I Get Home" is enjoyable.

By the way, why have there been so many complaints about that record over the years?

So, Rod, I hope I've helped, and Marty, if you haven't already found a Searchers CD, maybe you'd like to consider my recommendation. I myself would like to do what RJHC recommended and get all their US LPs. I happen to know of a store in town that has no shortage of Searchers on vinyl.

And since this is my first posting on this forum, let me commend you, Peter, on the job you've done with your site. I really wanted to know more about the individual band members, especially Chris Curtis, and why Tony Jackson left the group. Looks like the latter remains one of rock's great mysteries.

Merry Christmas, if you celebrate it.
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

Anyone wanting to pick up Searchers material on record or CD would do well to visit the eBay Site(or, http://www.ebay.com/ and enter Searchers in the search box)

You need to fight through references to the John Wayne movie of the same name (!) but there are often bargains to be had.
If it ain't broke, don't mend it.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Received the Searchers' "The Definitive Collection" yesterday. Included the album "Meet The Searchers".
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice reminder Alan about eBay. I'm sure The Searchers never envisioned that they would be competing with the Hollywood movie forty years later during an online auction.

SPIRIT

Post by SPIRIT »

My mother played a 78 r.p.m. record for me back when I was only five. The title of the song was Needles and Pins. I do not know where that album is but I do believe it is by "SMOKIE." I went to the internet site ASKJEEVES.COM and found many versions. Your recording in 1964 of this tune was listed in a book, as being 3 versions recorded 2 in French, one in German. The lyrics represented in your web site are written by Sonny Bono of Sonny and Cher. back in the 80's. I believe the original version of this tune belongs to "SMOKIE."
Could you verify this please. Thank you.

Sincerely and avid fan

Mark Seddon

P.S. I do remember some hard core version or RIFF of it by the BEATLES. That went, "You know I saw her today."
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

The first recording of Needles and Pins was by Jackie DeShannon in 1963. The Searchers recording was a big hit in 1964 and is probably the definitive version. Smokie recorded the song much later in 1977. I would be very surprised if you heard their version on a 78!! The Searchers have also recorded two re-workings of the song - one on RCA in 1972 and on their last 'new' album in 1989. Mike Pender's band have also recorded versions of the song, including a slower, ballad-type arrangement.
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

And, yes, the Searchers did record foreign langauge versions of the song for the European market.
FATRAT_II

Post by FATRAT_II »

I noticed that the Searchers have almost as many post as the Beatles and the Byrds... whats up with that???
I like the Searchers fine, but I didnt ever really place them with playing Rickenbackers back in 1964, I do realise that needles and pins sounds like a 12 and a few other songs but I have always pictured them with Fenders back then????....Im not to up on this subject, so inform me...
I wasnt aware that they were still this popular....
I alway put them in the Gerry and the Pacemakers or Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, popularity...real famous at one time and still had a following but almost 500 post???
I would think the Who were know more for Rickenbacker usage and would be more popular.....
not trying to poo poo the Searcher I was just curious about why them ????

FATRAT II

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”