The Searchers

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
admin
Site Admin

The Searchers

Post by admin »

Some researchers have held that The Searchers were first in folk rock with their recording of "What Have They Done To The Rain?" Were they the pioneers of Folk Rock? The following is a photo of John, Chris and Mike singing this tune.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

For sure. Actually, it goes back farther, to "Where Have All the Flowers Gone", which I had never heard done by anybody but "Folkies", e.g "The Kingston Trio" et al before the Searchers put it out on an LP. Ditto, "All My Sorrows". I remember seeing them sing "Rain"on "Hullabaloo"- the Brit segment hosted by Epstein.Chris was sitting up front playing the bongos. I think he mentioned it in that interview. And don't forget their subsequent forays- "Four Strong Winds", "Take Me For What I'm Worth". It became a staple element of their music.

Anyway, They were the first major rock act (to my knowledge) who mixed folk elements (and whole songs) into their repetoire. Might have had something to do with their guitar style, too. Lent itself readily to that type of music.
You play the hand they deal you
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

Just for the record (no pun intended!), the Shadows did a vocal version of All My Sorrows even earlier than the Searchers.
If it ain't broke, don't mend it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alan: When was the release date of the Shadows "All My Sorrows" version?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

Peter: It was on their first solo album called just "The Shadows" from 1961. It also appeared on a budget-price compilation in the mid-sixties.
RJHC

Post by RJHC »

_I HAVE ALSO SEEN THIS SONG AS "ALL MY TRIALS" .

ELVIS RECORDED IT . IT SEEMS TO BE A ANCIENT FOLK

SONG .
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

Yes, I also have versions of it as All My Trials by both Joan Baez and The Seekers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

While we are at it, why not throw in Peter, Paul and Mary. Does anyone else find the instrumental to the Searchers' "All My Sorrows" very thin and tentative?

jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

Peter,

I think the instrumental on "All My Sorrows is very influenced by, and derivative of, the Kingston Trio version of the song. They tended to put the emphasis on the vocal,and use more understated instrumental backgrounds.
You play the hand they deal you
RJHC

Post by RJHC »

_HOW ABOUT "WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE" .

THEY DID THIS ON THEIR FIRST ENGLISH ALBUM . THEY

SOUND LIKE AN ELECTRIFIED KINGSTON TRIO .

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”