Answers to your questions about The Searchers
RJHC

Double Live

Post by RJHC »

_I HAVE HEARD ON A HISTORY OF ROCK N' ROLL RADIO

PROGRAM THAT "NEEDLES AND PINS" WAS RECORDED

DOUBLE LIVE . THAT IS : WHERE ALL THE INSTRUMENTS

AND VOCALS ARE RECORDED ON ONE TRACK AND ALL OF

THIS IS RECORDED AGAIN ON ANOTHER TRACK .

DOUBLING ALL THE INSTRUMENTS AND VOCALS .

_WHAT DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS ? WERE OTHER

SONGS RECORDED THIS WAY ?
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

I read the same thing somewhere, possibly liner notes, years ago. The phrase "double live" was attributed to the Searchers themselves. May have come up as early as Needles and Pins, where six strings, not twelve strings were used. I don't think the Searchers got into twelve strings 'til George Harrison brought a Rickenbacker back to England after a US vacation in 1963(64?). In any case your description is what I read.
You play the hand they deal you
Dan_Forrest

Post by Dan_Forrest »

I have heard of a live cd available but have not been able to locate it. Could someone help as I have been a Searchers fan for many years and have only found a couple of live tracks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dan: You might want to check out Rob Bolton's Site for a review of the Seachers Live CD. You can also contact Tim Viney for details regarding The Searchers' Appreciation Society and he will have additional information for you with regard to a Live CD.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
mps_fan_club

Post by mps_fan_club »

AND IF YOU WANT TO HEAR SOME OF THE OLD SONGS AND SOME NEW RECORDED BY MIKE PENDERS SEARCHERS THEN CONTACT US WE OFFER THE 18 TRACK CD BY MAIL ORDER.
mpsnews@cwcom.net
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

To get back to the original question (and a variant), how did the Searchers record? I've read they did "double live" to get the guitar sound on "Needles and Pins". I've also read the sound was caused by a harmonic from the two guitars (6 strings) they used on the record. In the Curtis interview, he alluded to something like "Double Live"on "Goodbye, My Love". So, does anyone know for sure? Did it change w/ the 12 string(s)?

On a related topic, how did they select the songs. I assume Chris brought them before the other three, or did other members do so as well. Was the selection process different for singles, and album cuts? I've read that Frank works out the harmony parts now. Who did it then?What was Hatch's role?
You play the hand they deal you

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”