Needles and Pins Ballad

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
admin
Site Admin

Needles and Pins Ballad

Post by admin »

The Searchers recorded a very interesting and beautiful recording of Needles and Pins that was of a much slower tempo and more like a ballad. This appeared on The Magic Collection CD. Can anyone tell me any history about this arrangement which is filled with terrific background harmony. I would also like to know who sang lead on this recording.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

Are you sure that this wasn't the one that Mike Pender's Searchers did on one of their CDs? I have that one.
If it ain't broke, don't mend it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alan: The version of Needles and Pins, to which I was referring, is from the "Magic Collection" CD. This is sung by Mike Pender as far as I know but is with The Searchers. I really enjoy this version which is even more moving I find than the original version. Please set me straight if I am in error as I do not have the Magic Collection CD in my collection. Shame on me.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

The "Magic Collection" CD is one that I've not heard of before. Do you know what other songs are on it?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alan: The Magic Collection CD was released in Holland sometime in the early 1990s I believe. The track listing is as follows:SWEETS FOR MY SWEET LOVE POTION NUMBER 9 BROKEN HEARTS GOODBYE MY LOVE NEEDLES AND PINS 90 TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT TAKE ME FOR WHAT I'M WORTH WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO THE RAIN SOMEDAY WE'RE GONNA LOVE AGAIN RED FERRARI BLUE MONDAYS SUGAR AND SPICE DON'T THROW YOUR LOVE AWAY WALK IN THE ROOM (just like this!)
I am puzzled by who sings lead on the song, however, as Mike Pender left in 1985. Perhaps others will be able to assist in this regard.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alan: Please go to the head of the class as you had the ballad correct from the beginning. Needles and Pins 90 is Mike Pender's Searchers. This is why it sounds like Mike Pender, because it IS Mike Pender! The Searchers have not recorded Red Ferrari and Blue Mondays but these are known recordings of Mike Pender's Searchers.

mps_fan_club

Post by mps_fan_club »

all the tracks detailed here are mike penders searchers. they recorded the cd in 1986.it is available on various labels and the original from the fan club
MPS_FAN_CLUB

Post by MPS_FAN_CLUB »

MPS RE-ISSUED THE 1986 CD LAST YEAR. WE BELIEVE IN THIS LATEST FORM IT IS ONLY AVAILABLE AT GIGS AND THROUGH THE FAN CLUB.IT HAS 18 TRACKS WHICH ARE THE 14 LISTED ABOVE PLUS
NEEDLES AND PINS (ORIGINAL STYLE)
TWO HEARTS
FALLING APART AT THE SEAMS
ITS OVER
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

Could someone please post the URL for the Mike Pender Fan Club website? Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alan: I hope I am not speaking out of turn here, but the last I heard (a couple of months ago) the MIKE PENDER'S SEARCHERS' site was being upgraded to include a couple of new sections including a chance for fans to have questions answered by Mike.

MPS_FAN_CLUB

Post by MPS_FAN_CLUB »

THE MPS WEB SITE HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN FOR THE TIME BEING. WE WILL ADVISE WHEN WE HAVE MORE NEWS.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike Pender kindly responded to questions that the Rickenbacker Registration Page had with respect to the "Needles and Pins" ballad. He offered the following comments Quote:Soon after I formed my new Band Mike Penders Searchers I recorded a CD of many of the old hits. This ballard version you refer to was literally done on the spur of the moment . A simple case of we needed one more song to complete the CD. It may seem hard to believe but it took in fact no more than 1 hour to put that track down. As you say the backing track is superb, in my opinion!! Being self critical I felt my vocal is not as good as it could have been as it was done in one take and most of the time went into the backing. I believe had I taken more time to maybe give the vocal a much warmer feel it could well have been single material. Just for the record as this was in 1985/86 the band line up was Steve Carlisle on Drums, Chris Black guitar, and Barrie Cowell on Bass guitar.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”