Sidemen

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Sidemen

Post by jjr »

I know Tony Hatch played piano on a bunch of Searchers' tunes. Does anybody know if there were any other sidemen they used consistently? Did any other guys from Liverpool sit in, ala Lennon and Harrison on the Silkie's "Hide Your Love Away"?

I assume they may have used someone on keyboards, up through the Sire stuff. What about guitar, etc.?
You play the hand they deal you
Tim

Post by Tim »

There were a lot of session men used on the SIRE stuff (I'll look out all the names for a later posting. One name I want to mention now though is Bob Jackson. Bob, a one-time member of Badfinger, played Keyboards on some of the SIRE tracks. Bob is now with The Fortunes and his input has done much to re-energise the group's stage show (also, check out their CD "Some Bridges").
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tim: I did not know about Bob Jackson's involvement with The Searchers. I went back to the Sire Albums and there is precious little information on the album covers and liner notes. On the "Loves Melodies" notes (Sire Records, 1981) the listings include: Mick Weaver and Ed Strasium, Keyboards with additional percussion provided by Martin Hughes and Dave Charles. Through the process of elimination, it would seem that Bob Jackson must have been a keyboard player on the Sire release that was simply entitled "The Searchers."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
RJHC

Post by RJHC »

_THIS SUBJECT HAS CAUSED DISCUSSION ON THE

HERMAN'S HERMITS BOARDS AND HEATED ARGUMENTS ON

THE DAVE CLARK FIVE BOARDS .

_I'M JUST A DUMB COUNTRY BOY . I ONLY KNOW WHAT I

READ ON THE INTERNET , BUT A WHILE BACK ON BIG

JIM SULLIVAN'S SITE HE SAID HE PLAYED ON VARIOUS

SEARCHER'S RECORDINGS IN THE MID 60'S . ON THE

DAVE CLARK FIVE BOARD THERE WERE RUMORS THAT THE

SEARCHERS WERE SUING HIM . CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN

ME ON THIS AND DELIVER ME FROM MY IGNORANCE ?
mdenger
Veteran RRF member

Post by mdenger »

I was in contact with Big Jim a few years ago. I signed his guestbook and he answered. He never played on a Searchers' record. This is also confirmed by John McNally.

Michael
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Additional information has come to my attention with regard to Bob Jackson's participation in The Searchers' Sire recording sessions. the current release of the two Sire albums together on one cd, and the sleeve notes are quite specific as to which tracks featured Bob Jackson.
The running order of the tracks is:

1 Hearts In Her Eyes
2 Switchboard Susan
3 Feeling Fine
4 This Kind Of Love Afair
5 Lost In Your Eyes
6 It's Too Late
7 No Dancing
8 Coming From the Heart
9 Don't Hang On
10 Love's Gonna Be Strong
11 Back To The War
12 Love's Melody
13 Silver
14 Infatuation
15 She Made A Fool Of You
16 Almost Saturday Night
17 You Are The New Day
18 Everything But A Heartbeat
19 Radio Romance
20 September Gurls
22 Another Night
23 Changing

Quote:"Produced and engineered by Pat Moran, except 14 - 24 produced by Pat Moran and Ed Stasium. Keyboards by Bob Jackson (5 & 8), and by Mick Weaver and Ed Stasium variously on tracks 14 - 24. Additional percussion by Martin Hughes and Dave Charles on 14 - 24."
So that means Bob Jackson's tracks were 'Lost In Your Eyes' and 'Coming From The Heart'. Bob Jackson has, in recent times, become a Fortune!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
RJHC

Post by RJHC »

_THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATION MICHAEL AND PETER .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Speaking of Bob Jackson, here is photo of him from 1999.

RJHC

Post by RJHC »

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”