Book Deal

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
supersaints

Re: Book Deal

Post by supersaints »

Surprise, surprise!!!!! WHSmiths are no longer selling the book...was withdrawn this week, so looks like I will have to pay the full postage.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I noticed that partly my fault I suspect, it was mentioned on a forum that you could only but it form publisher, I replied and stated "not totally true a major retailer is still selling it for only 99p postage."

I immediately received a e-mail asking who retailer was but did not reply, was tracked down not doubt.

I have pre-ordered though I have read it already as I was involved to some degree, remains to be seen if I get it.
supersaints

Post by supersaints »

So is it a good read then Roy?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes but could have been shortened perhaps first 8 chapters are building up to The Searchers.

Plus anyone looking for shocking revelations will be disappointed.

He is a good writer though as if to demonstrate his excellent word vocabulary he tends at times to use words that are unnecessary in my view though educational!
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

When I see the price I've paid in Norwegian money, I don't find this an expencive book at all! And Roy, if you provided a discography for it, I'd say it's peculiar if you don't receive a free copy!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Did a bit more than just discography but did not expect a free copy, too late now anyway I ahve bought the book but reamins to be seen whether I get it or not as I have not ordered through publisher.
supersaints

Post by supersaints »

Has the book actually come out yet? I am still waiting for my copy. I thought it was due out at the beginning of the month. I was surprised on British TV this week that Frank did not mention his book at all.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Due out now on 20/4 is latest info I have.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

What does it say? Not available in my country or domain!
supersaints

Post by supersaints »

I have to say so far it is a brilliant read. I have the book about a week now and cant put it down. When I was skimming through it when it first arrived, I read the bit about Billy Adamson leaving the group. I had not realised how bitter he was with his role within the group. Have you had your copy yet Roy and did you get it cheaper in the end?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Did get it cheaper but not received it and I am beginning to think my money may be lost, the company I bought from not answering e-mails and website down for maintainence but been like that for 2/3 weeks.

Ah well that's life

It is a good read could have been a few chapters shorter though I think.
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Got the book on Friday and can only echo Dave. I won't rush-read it, so am still (after 62 pages) still in Hamburg with the Rebel Rousers! I enjoy the insight into the CB&RR story. I didn't know Frank was such a long-serving member (even partly as a rhytm guitarist), and that he even played alongside the famed Nicky Hopkins in this band. Frank should be very proud of this book, most showbizers use ghost-writers when they tell their story. Frank's gift for storytelling is impressive indeed. The illustrations are worth mentioning too, provided by a.o. Our Roy! Please tell Frank (and his good helpers) we are enjoying his book out here!
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

Well I've just ordered Frank(no relation)'s "Traveling Man" from Amazon, and I'll probably order this one soon (Amazon are showing "currently out of stock" so I'll probably end up getting it from the publisher... ) Postage seems a bit high, but then again a book that size is heavy... anyone noticed what the *actual* postage paid was?
But I really don't think the book is expensive, at 400 plus pages plus photos, unless it's VERY large type.
Looking forward to reading both, and grateful to this forum for making me aware of them!
Cheers
Nick
ozmag

Post by ozmag »

It's a very large book with loads of photos, mostly never published and in hardback, due to the small print run and small target market it was always going to be a little heavy on price. But if you are a fan....why not!

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”