RRF Consultant

Re: Book Deal

Post by royclough »

welcome Michael
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

I recently bought the book and yes, while it was pricey, it was thoroughly worth the expense. I've wanted more details about the split with Mike and now I've got them. I was also surprised to read about Billy not playing on Play for Today as Sire didn't think he did a good enough job on Searchers. I am going to be sitting down and carefully comparing drum tracks now.

Lots of photo's and some great insight into Liverpool and Hamburg and for those who are fans of Joe Meek, Frank writes about him as well.

A terrific book. I've no complaints! :D

db
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

While I bought the book shortly after it was available on their website, The Searchers and Me, I have been reading it slowly -- picking out the parts I need to read to get answers, and referring to Roy's Discography. I also hate it when a book I LOVE comes to an end, so I tend to savor it.

Today I was investigating a song called "Take It Or Leave It" (a Richards/Jagger song Chris liked very much) however, by the time The Searchers recorded it, Chris was, sadly gone. I then happened onto the chapter called "Enter the New Boy" (Chapter 15). It answered a lot of questions about the departure of Tony Jackson. Frank has a very attractive style of making non-fiction quite humorous with his own observations. What a fascinating chapter. I couldn't put it down.

I think the book is worth every penny and would be cheap at twice the price for a hungry Searchers fan. Luckily, Frank's first book was given to me as a gift, but I would have purchased that as well.

Roy, I also prefer your title "Still Searchin"

Maybe you can get Mikey to write that one!? :)
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Last time I saw Mike he said there would be a book giving his side, though he did not go into detail.

Whilst "Still Searchin'" was my suggestion to Frank Allen for the book, he decided not to go with it, his book after all.

However their latest "live" CD, available at gigs, is called, yes you guessed it, "Still Searchin'".
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

royclough wrote:Last time I saw Mike he said there would be a book giving his side, though he did not go into detail.

Whilst "Still Searchin'" was my suggestion to Frank Allen for the book, he decided not to go with it, his book after all.

However their latest "live" CD, available at gigs, is called, yes you guessed it, "Still Searchin'".
Roy, that is sooo cool!! I'm glad they used it there! If you think about it , it is even more appropriate because they are very much (thank GOD) "Still Searchin" via sharing their music and themselves at the gigs so selling this "Still Searching" CD at the gigs is quite perfect! :)
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

A Pender book of sorts.. that's exciting news! Frank has had his say, John (through Mike Ober's substantional interview), Chris and Tony has had lenghty features in Record Collector, it's Mike's story missing. Please Roy keep us informed if you are in the position to do so!
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

“Me & Mrs Jones” is an occasional series of portrait interviews with popular music performers that goes out on Sky and Freesat satellite broadcasting channels in the UK. Hosted by journalist and author, Lesley Ann Jones, the program usually focuses on performers who have either tours, books or releases of back catalogue material to promote.

I don’t know when this particular two-part interview with Frank Allen was done but he was obviously plugging his book – and as a result he was in chatty form.

Part 1: Recalling the night that Tommy Cooper was ready to take a swing at John Lennon … Chris Curtis being out his mind on a cocktail of pills towards the end of his time with the Searchers … the invitation to father a child with Dusty Springfield following an evening of drinking …

Part 2: Frank Allen talks about growing up … joining Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers … and how the Searchers have managed to keep working …

dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

That was great. Thanks for posting.

LOL. I felt so sorry for the auto focus on that camera that was used to shoot the tv screen. It was so confused by the cuts and the depth of field that it just kept on churning away trying to find a focus that it didn't need to find.

That was really very interesting. Great to see. Very enjoyable.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Obviously, I take exception to the abbreviated references Frank makes to Chris Curtis. Particularly when his book elaborates so well on what actually happened...according to him, of course. I have heard Chris Curtis speaking on the Spencer Leigh interview and he was able to give his side of the story in that interview. I do not blame Chris for leaving the band after the events of Australia. I take anxiety meds, and pain killers as needed, because life circumstances, physical injuries requires them at times. And we do what we must to get the job done. Frankly, to be performing with the Rolling Stones, I would see that as an insult to The Searchers, nevermind if they had 2nd billing (or whatever the term is). The two bands were miles apart in onstage style. I cannot tolerate the Stones if I have to see Mick Jagger as that is one ugly dude. JMHO!! I only wish Chris were alive to write his own book. And Tony as well, for that matter!!! Without that, any other book is heresay. And we have to consider that while reading such books. But since Chris isn't here, I will stand up for him, and I do take him for what he was worth, being as nobody is perfect. I wish the audio on the interviews had been a bit better, but grateful to have it at all, nonetheless! :-) Thank you for posting them here!!I Interestingly, one of Chris' nephews has found my YouTube channel and was very happy with it and subbed. His name is GedCrum, and I'm his only subscription. I know Chris had a lot of siblings, so it was a very big day in my life when a member of Chris' family posted a comment to me on my Magic Potion upload, thanking me for my kind comments about his Uncle (Chris).
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I thought I had posted this some while back. Perhaps I just posted a clip.

Agree with comments about book but don't believe FA would make things up, he was very conscious when doing the book that he could be open to libel proceedings if he did not stick to facts.

Dusty Springfield was asked for permission to use his tale about her when he did his first book, she said yes but stated she had no recollection of the night.

This was shown in Sept last year, the channel called Vintage TV launched last year but audience very limited.

According to FA he and the interviewer had known each other very well some years ago.

Person who posted the vid just recorded it from TV using a camcorder probably why sound is poor.

Frank never saw it on TV as he cannot receive the station, it was recorded for him though.

I'd love to see a similiar thing with John McNally or Mike Pender but won't happen.
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Roy Clough wrote:I thought I had posted this some while back. Perhaps I just posted a clip.
Yes you did Roy – but those who may have missed it, I decided to post it again in order to directly link the interview into this more active thread about Frank Allen’s book.
Roy Clough wrote:Agree with comments about book but don't believe FA would make things up, he was very conscious when doing the book that he could be open to libel proceedings if he did not stick to facts.
From what I can understand about Frank Allen, which admittedly is fairly limited, as a writer he does have something of a sound reputation for being consciousness about what he can and subject to UK libel laws - what can’t write about. In particular, his back-checking of dates and facts does stand up to close scrutiny - which is something that can’t always be said for others who were around at the time.
Roy Clough wrote:I'd love to see a similiar thing with John McNally or Mike Pender but won't happen.
Indeed Roy, it won’t happen. The rift between the pair of them runs too deep and has been allowed to go on far too long. The only winners to come out of it would be the lawyers. Over the years other groups have had their falling outs and disagreements and have managed to eventually put them to one side in order to perform again. But I fear this will never be the case for Messrs McNally and Pender - there’s simply too much baggage between them and, neither appears to have either the desire or the appetite to do their dirty washing in public.

I get the impression with Frank Allen that while he had ringside seat to all the goings on, he has the good sense, probably backed up by some sound legal advice, to publicly stay well away from being caught in crossfire. I daresay, to some degree or other, he still has his loyalties to both aggrieved parties.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

" In particular, his back-checking of dates and facts does stand up to close scrutiny "

I like to think I was some help to him in that respect. Not sure about his loyalty to both in fact certain.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Greeings! I, obviously, worded my post poorly! I DO believe every word Frank Allen wrote. I am a Frank Allen Fan. According to Frank, in his book, it is Chris Curtis who invited him into the Searchers band. If Chris wanted Frank in, that's good enough for me to believe that Frank is a good person. My own observation of Frank's book is as I stated before, he has an entertaining way of writing the book and it is not all hard, cold facts. He makes his own observations, which are his opinion. He is entitled to that opinion, after all, it is his book! It is a treasure to have, an outstanding reference book, because Frank CAN be trusted. I'm glad one of them wanted to write a book! That was a big undertaking, and without a doubt, Roy's help was invaluable in expediting the process.

As a reader, I am entitled to be offended by some of his opinions. It doesn't mean I dislike Frank, for that could never happen. He is a wonderful Ambassador, and clearly, loves being a Searcher!! He is the one who appears to be most accessible to Roy. My close friend, Gary, met Frank and said that Frank was the friendliest one.

Roy has been most kind to me. Considering that....

I am basically a nobody who discovered videos on YouTube of my precious Searchers of l964 time. I found people posting negative comments about Chris and so I started to research him. At that time I didn't even know he had that beautiful voice! In 1964 I owned one photo of The Searchers to carry in my wallet. I had no idea who was singing what voice. I could see that Chris was the drummer and singing along with all his heart. The USA teen music magazines did not give The Searchers their due. And I bought all these mags with my babysit money.

As I continued to learn about Chris, in recent years, including that he was deceased....arghhhhh... I created a channel with his name which indicates immediately my opinion of Chris. I have attracted people who simply will not listen to 'post Curtis' music. I have attracted people who met Chris, one who knew his sister, Rose, and now one of his nephews. They share their stories, and love of Chris. Some people have been converted to Searchers music, thanks to me and my YouTube channel!!

A large part of this is due to Roy sending me his Searchers uploads, with the facts about the music, and I pass it on to my small, but enthusiastic group of Searchers/Beatles friends. (I turn down most friend invites. I want people who love the British Invasion, as we called it here in the US.) One of them, a Beatles fanatic, recently wrote to me thanking me because she is a Searchers convert and now her brother and his friend are as well!

That is the best of all! To convert young people to Searchers fans is something to celebrate. They will keep Searchers' music alive long after we are all gone! I'm sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to explain how I became involved with Chris Curtis. I am not going to be writing a book, my research is for my own pleasure. It is in my personal collection, as some was shared in confidence. I do not break a confidence. I have a corner in our bedroom dedicated to The Searchers I love -- Chris, Mike, Frank,John and Tony. I loved Tony's voice, particularly when I hear it in harmony with Chris. Da Doo Ron Ron -- is just staggering. It's great being me and catching up with 45 years of missed Searchers music. :)

I know the full story of the events of Australia, thanks to Frank's book and Chris' interview with Spencer Leigh, and I regret that it all happened. I feel that Chris needed the other Searchers as much as they needed him. Still, I feel Chris was justified in leaving The Searchers after that. It is my opinion, no more, no less.

It's also very, very sad, to me, that when a member of The Searchers leaves the band, he seems to become 'persona non grata' -- to the remaining members. I do not know why Mike Pender left, but I feel he had a right to do what he wanted to do, for whatever reasons.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you, to Roy, for all you do for me, and for sharing your knowledge and being our link to the best band on the planet (all of The Searchers).

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”