Searchers/Beatles Hamburg Tapes?

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
DavyR

Re: Searchers/Beatles Hamburg Tapes?

Post by DavyR »

I guess the first thing to do is to prove that it isn't The Beatles, then maybe go towards the Searcehers idea. I posted this on BGC.com. I need an asprin! LOL!
-------------------------------------------------------
The tapes come from various sources, have various edits, appear to have been hacked up and copied, had guest singers/players, etc., so I wouldn't doubt that it may not even be The Beatles. A quick search gave me a headache after reading only these 2 sources of info:

http://beatles.ncf.ca/starclubtapes.html

http://www.beatlesource.com/bs/to-starclub.html
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

100% convinced it's not The Searchers in fact I am certain John's reply would be "we weren't that bad".
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Speaking on these Beatles tapes Frank Allen of the Searchers was involved in a court case, he gives an amusing anecdote in his book, I'll ask him if ok to post the relevant part. Sure he won't mind but be polite.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

royclough wrote:100% convinced it's not The Searchers in fact I am certain John's reply would be "we weren't that bad".
Love it, Roy!!! Thanks for confirming my belief! The Searchers made that irritating "song" sung by who knows who, into something truly lovely.
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

chriscurtisfan wrote:
royclough wrote:100% convinced it's not The Searchers in fact I am certain John's reply would be "we weren't that bad".
Love it, Roy!!! Thanks for confirming my belief! The Searchers made that irritating "song" sung by who knows who, into something truly lovely.
LOL! This GREAT song was done by THE GREAT Arthur Alexander.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

DavyR wrote:
chriscurtisfan wrote:
LOL! This GREAT song was done by THE GREAT Arthur Alexander.
Just saying I found it irritating as sung by whoever, and yet it's in my Top Ten when sung by the Searchers. :-) Did Mr. Alexander write it? Whoever wrote it, I thank.
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

An extract from Frank Allen's book "The Searchers And Me" published by Aureus, which some may find intersting as it relates to those Beatle tapes.

"In November I received a curious call from a firm of solicitors with the splendid name of Frere, Cholmeley, Bischoff who had learned that I had been present at the time of the infamous December 1962 Hamburg recordings of the Beatles at the Star Club and committed to tape by Ted ‘Kingsize’ Taylor. There was to be a case in which the Beatles were plaintiffs and they required my testimony.

On December 1st I presented myself to a Mister Neville Cordell at their offices in John Carpenter Street, EC4, very near to Blackfriars Station. I told my story which was basically that yes, I had been present and yes, I heard them being played over the club P.A system the next day and that I knew very little else. He seemed happy with that and I was asked if I would appear as a witness for them. Of course I agreed. These were the Beatles after all. But I couldn`t see what help I was going to be. In any case the hearing was not till May of the following year.

I paid my second visit to Freres, Chomley, Bischoff and signed my affidavit in readiness for the forthcoming court appearance. A few days later and I made my way to the seat of British justice where the paparazzi had gathered in a state of excitement at the promised appearance of a real live Beatle.

My old boss Cliff Bennett had also been deputed to appear and as we stood outside in the street after the break for lunch George Harrison approached. Cliff and I greeted him and in his slow Scouse drawl he uttered ‘Nice to see you Cliff. You’re looking well.’ There was a pause and he turned to me. ‘I don`t know about him though.’ What was it about me and Beatles that made them feel the need to utter caustic remarks I wondered?(this is a reference to a exchange with John Lennon, Frank had back in them days) Actually, figuring that I had always kept myself in good shape and was extremely well dressed for the time of day in my black pants and hounds tooth high button jacket I was a trifle miffed but said nothing.

I delivered my inconsequential knowledge on the witness stand after first having confused the barrister by preferring to ‘affirm’ rather than swear on the Holy Bible. Affirmation it seems was far from being the norm but having no belief in a deity I saw no reason to be a hypocrite. Certainly not in an environment where every word coming out of my mouth was required to be the truth. I stepped down and took my seat for George`s performance. He seemed to have mellowed in the last half hour as he kept turning to me and giving conspiratorial smirks at what he thought were ludicrous questions posed to him. The cross questioning barrister was not given an easy time.

George was the Beatle who had drawn the short straw in having to attend the dreary and time-consuming proceedings and he was not happy about it. When it was suggested that they had delivered up their rights to the Hamburg recordings for a crate of beer he adopted a contemptuous look and a sarcastic edge to his voice and replied that it was hardly likely. George was a Beatle and about the closest thing you could get to a living god in the eyes of many. Having dealt with the intrusion of an inquisitive media for the best part of his life he was not about to be cowed by a mere lawyer in a black gown and a ludicrous wig. His verbal opponent was visibly uncomfortable.

When it was all over and we trooped out the courtroom there were raised voices at the lift. George was castigating a member of the public who had the temerity to approach him and ask for an autograph. ‘You want locking up. You’re mad, you.’ The diatribe continued until the lifts doors closed and George Harrison finally descended from view. The poor guy turned to me and with a hurt look on his face said in a thick Irish brogue ‘Mr Allen, I don`t know why he was like that. I don`t mean any harm. I`m a fan. I just wanted to say hello’. I felt so sorry for him and in truth could not understand George`s reasoning. But then I have never had to suffer being a Beatle. In the light of his tragic and early death it might have been that he knew a lot more than we did at that point in time and was feeling sorry for himself and angry with the world. On May 8th the case was settled in the Beatles`favour."
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Thanks Roy!! Thanks to Frank! And case closed!

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”