Searchers and Beatles

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

Yo! Pete,

While in a "B.J's" Store, looking for a book on Joe DiMaggio, I cae accross a large paperback on the Beatles. While perusing (I didn't buy it) I found a photo of an account ledger page from a club in England in '61 or '62, showing payouts to the headliners-Beatles, and the supporting act- the Searchers. So they've played clubs together. There was also a reference to either a radio show or TV show where the Beatles hosted two. The Searchers were their guest stars on one of them. Now, if Tim can check this with John, and find out if they ever played together.
You play the hand they deal you
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice work John. It looks like we may need to catalog these events before they become lost forever.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

Peter,

I went back, and bought the book. It's "The Complete Beatles Chronicle" by Mark Lewisohn (Hamlyn Books). The club date was Friday, March 2d, 1962. The venue was St. John's Hall, Bootle. The promotor was Dave Forshaw. The Beatles got 17 pounds, the Searchers got 6.

The radio gig was on Wednesday July 10, 1963. The BBC show was called "Pop Go the Beatles". Apparently they taped two shows at once, with the second taped from 1:30 to 3:30 PM. The Searchers were the guest stars for the second program.

Just bought the Beatles' "Anthology". Took a quick look in the index. No mention of the Searchers.
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

Peter,

Found another Beatles/Searchers gig in theChronicle,Dec. 27, 1960 Town Hall Ballroom, Hatton Hill Rd., Litherland Liverpool. Interestingly, the Beatlres were an ad on, with the Searchers,DelRenas and Deltones already having been booked.

Wonder if Mike or John have any anecdotes they can pass along?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks John. It is interesting to note that the Fab Four were not always the "top bill." Your observation serves as a reminder of the Searchers' place in Liverpool "in the beginning."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Frank_Somma

Post by Frank_Somma »

One thing though(and perhaps this has been blown out of proportion), that was supposedly the night that the Beatles blew everyone off the stage and began their reign over Liverpool. It's been referenced in Mark Lewisohn's book "The Beatles Live", Philip Norman's "Shout" and I believe, Ray Coleman's "Lennon" as well as in the film, "The Complete Beatles". Something happened that night, whether it was as special as everyone said, I couldn't tell you.
If I'm not mikstaken, the Beatles were offered 4 pounds they asked for 8 pounds and settled on 6 pounds with promoter Brian Kelly. I read too much.
There was probably also a pretty healthy rivalry between the two groups, being that each held a resident position at local clubs(Searchers-Iron Door Beatles-Cavern). This of course did not occur until after the Dec. 27, 1960 gig. But who knows, maybe the 4 "germans" created some enemies that night.
Frank_Somma

Post by Frank_Somma »

PS. I forgot that they had Chas Newby for the DEC. 27, 1960 gig. So I guess that would be "four germans" and a Liverpudlian.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”