Magnatone guitar question

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

cbonaire

Magnatone guitar question

Post by cbonaire »

Hi all. I'm taking a shot in the dark by asking this question here, but I'm guessing someone here knows the answer. I bought a Magnatone Mark VII back when I was a youth and I would like to know how old it is. After learning that Paul Barth, who worked for Ric and designed some of their guitars, designed the Mark VII, I thought someone here could steer me to a place where I could check the serial number (0285). I enclose a photo. Over the years someone I lent it to sprayed it sh*t brown, ruined the knobs and lost the bridge cover. I stripped it back but can't find the proper knobs or bridge cover. But at this point I'd be happy just to get a reliable vintage year. Can anyone help?
Attachments
mymagna.jpg
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Magnatone guitar question

Post by sloop_john_b »

John, i don't have any answers for you, but COOL GUITAR! :D
cbonaire

Post by cbonaire »

I should add that it plays and sounds great. I have made it my regular player.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I had an old Magnatone similar to that one that played and sounded great. It was a small body sealed hollwbody. Yet another of a long list of guitars I wish I still had :cry:
cbonaire

Post by cbonaire »

Good news -- I lifted the pickguard and checked the pot codes, which indicate they were made the 8th week of 1960 by CTS Corporation (Chicago Telephone Supply). So it's a 1960 Mark VII. So I'm happy.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice work John. We can use all the detectives we can get here. Please stick around.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
cbonaire

Post by cbonaire »

Thanks, I shall. I learned quite a bit looking into this guitar, namely about Paul Barth. It's interesting that this particular model may be spotted with a Magnatone logo, a Barth Natural Music Co. logo, or no logo at all, like mine. When I bought it 40 years ago it was just a Ric knock-off to me; now it has a story to tell. Thanks again, all.
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Keep your eyes open on e-bay as I've seen a couple of these up there in the past. Unless you have old photos of it, it may lead you to how the knobs and bridge cover looked as you search. And post those photos as you never know if someone here may spot them for you.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”