New from NAMM: Guild Electrics - The Newark Collection

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

electrofaro

Re: New from NAMM: Guild Electrics - The Newark Collection

Post by electrofaro »

sloop_john_b wrote:I personally have not seen it yet! I'll see what I can do...

In the meantime, what's the list price on it? :D
Our FB page is showing it, so it must be there (the problem with not being able to go to NAMM oneself - we got Messe, but it's not as glamourous as NAMM :( )
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7606_n.jpg

Price will be somewhere more than 3000 USD. I only have the European pricelist, but MSRP for US is above 4000 USD.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Never understood why Guild guitars were never more popular. The acoustics are outstandind, especially the 12 strings, which have about the best string spacing for a 12 one could ask for. I hope this new line are good, especially if it's going to be more money than Gretsches Electromatic line.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would like to hear a clean sound in the demo.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ByrdBro

Post by ByrdBro »

Thanks for posting that demo John.

But why oh why oh why do people demo/review guitars with an absurd amount of distortion.

Those Guilds might be very nice sounding guitars but tbh a cheap £100 pound guitar wouldn't sound any worse with all that discretion and mush.

Great shame as I expect in the real world these Guilds are probably be good instruments.
blue330
Professional Player

Post by blue330 »

Agreed on overly-distorted demos! It must be assumed that this will appeal to The Kids... but yeah, through a fuzzbox one guitar sounds pretty much like another! But I think the same thing is at work with today's amps, many of which have way too many knobs and gain stages to really sound good.
I hope these guitars are good and bring the Guild electrics back into the scene. A few years ago I bought an S-60 when I was on a quest for a one-pickup guitar and I was amazed at how good it is! Of course, it was a USA instrument but that doesn't mean good guitars can't be made elsewhere. In the mid-60s, Guilds seemed to be right up there with the other brands so I think their slow decline in the marketplace simply had to be a combination of chance and maybe the lack of a star player who was strongly associated with the brand.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

About the only big band "name" i've seen consistently play a Guild is Justin Hayward of Moody Blues,who has a fab Guild acoustic 12 string that i know of...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

woodyng wrote:About the only big band "name" i've seen consistently play a Guild is Justin Hayward of Moody Blues,who has a fab Guild acoustic 12 string that i know of...
John Denver played a Guild acoustic too, but he's been gone a long time.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I played the Savoy from this series today at Rudy's. Couldn't put it down! Sounds great both amplified (the Dearmond Rhythm Chief sounds GREAT!) and acoustic; fit and finish were top-notch. Comes stock with big flatwounds, pretty cool. Thinking hard about picking one up!
scotty

Post by scotty »

Another few additions to the series the CEO-100D looks very tasty
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... s-591280/2
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

THAT M-85 BASS :shock:
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

These look great!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks, Scotty, for resurrecting this thread. Fascinating stuff! Guilds are very underrated and have received short shrift from the vintage guitar magazines over the
years. I bought my Guild X-170 Manhattan hollowbody from a mom and pop store in 1998, for $1200 with the hardshell case. It has the most exquisite jazz tone I've ever heard. When I was shopping, I tried all manner of archtops, and even the Gibson ES-175's, Super 400's, and Tal Farlows couldn't match the sound of the X-170. I currently string mine with a D'Addario Chromes .012 set, and plug it directly into my Fender Princeton Chorus amp, with the reverb turned all the way down. I wish I were more of a jazz player, because that tone is to die for!!! 8)
octagon

Post by octagon »

I wonder if the Newark Series are made in the same factory that produced my De Armond M-75t and Squire S-73

idealassets

Post by idealassets »

I'm sorry that Guild is flooding the market with all these unsold Korean made (& other) new guitar remake models. The average guitar buyer now sees so many unsold guitars that the market for selling a used Guild guitar looks quite bad. In other words why buy a used one, when even the new ones do not sell?

For the past 2 years Guild has eliminated all the dealers "who were not serious about Guild" by requiring dealers to stock an inordinately large number of unsold Guild guitars in their stores. Now suddenly dozens of unsold "B stock" guitars are appearing all over the place (like ebay).

So the question remains- why buy a Guild when there are so darn many for sale all the time, and the fact that the company has produced "standard" models, "traditional" models, "Orpheum" models, and duplicates of "traditional" models made in Korea called "Newark St." models.

Geesh! How can mortal man figure all this stuff out?
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

idealassets wrote:I'm sorry that Guild is flooding the market with all these unsold Korean made (& other) new guitar remake models. The average guitar buyer now sees so many unsold guitars that the market for selling a used Guild guitar looks quite bad. In other words why buy a used one, when even the new ones do not sell?

For the past 2 years Guild has eliminated all the dealers "who were not serious about Guild" by requiring dealers to stock an inordinately large number of unsold Guild guitars in their stores. Now suddenly dozens of unsold "B stock" guitars are appearing all over the place (like ebay).

So the question remains- why buy a Guild when there are so darn many for sale all the time, and the fact that the company has produced "standard" models, "traditional" models, "Orpheum" models, and duplicates of "traditional" models made in Korea called "Newark St." models.

Geesh! How can mortal man figure all this stuff out?
Am I missing something here? How about just wanting one?

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”