Soapbars

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Ric5150

Soapbars

Post by Ric5150 »

Looking for opinions/advice.

I have a Gibson BluesHawk that plays great and I like the vibe, but I've reached the point where I can't stand the stock pickups. Some if it may be the fact that they added a dummy coil to kill hum, and I haven't disconnected that yet, but I'm thinking new pickups. The question is which ones to get.

My top three "suspects", in no particular order, are:

Seymour Duncan Antiquities - I have Antiquity sets in my '57 Duo-Sonic and a Mexican Strat I upgraded. Love them in those. I also have a Fender TC-90 (oddball MIK set-neck double-cut Thinline Tele) with stock "specially voiced" SD soapbars which sound great in that guitar.

Lollar - I put a set of his humbucker-packaged P-90s in a Rick 481 that had DiMarzios hacked into it when I bought it. Like the clarity and crunch. Hear good things about his other stuff.

Fralin - I don't have anything from him, but I've heard he's good. This name, in particular, seems to come up a lot for P-90s.

I really don't care if they hum a little, so hum-cancelling isnt a priority for me. In fact, I'm a little leary of it.

Any advice for me? (I'm not getting rid of the Gibson, and I'm not burning it, so you can skip those suggestions.) :wink:
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Re: Soapbars

Post by bitzerguy »

Personally I bought a set of Sheptone P90s to replace the minis on my LP Deluxe after using his AB Customs HBs for a while in a Stewart archtop. I love the bite and tone of his P90s, and they are a little less noisy than the Lollars. He has sales every now and then as well.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I have a Collings 290, which has Lollar P-90s in it. I really like the guitar and pickups.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Jasons P90s are very fine too. My fav list for P90s is Sheptone, Lollar then Reilanders.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
Ric-O-Buc

Post by Ric-O-Buc »

My favorite P-90?

Gibson.

Nobody does it quite like the original.

I have a LP Special with two P-90's. They are all you are looking for in that sound, along with some noise. That's part of the package, and I accept and deal with it.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”