Tele Thinline?

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Folkie
Advanced Member

Tele Thinline?

Post by Folkie »

Well, I just auditioned a Fender Classic Series '72 Telecaster Thinline at Guitar Center, and, even though the guitar wasn't quite set up properly, I must say, I was smitten! The Thinline really shined, all the way from darker jazz tones, to grungy blues, to bright, jangly folk-rock. Given how versatile and beautiful-looking it is, Musician's Friend's price of $815.00 (with gig bag) seems reasonable. But, as always, I'm asking myself if I can justify adding a new guitar to my stable. Any opinions? (I no longer own any Teles. The only Fender I own is a Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature Model Strat).
manta
Intermediate Member

Re: Tele Thinline?

Post by manta »

A friend of mine bought one and put some Lollar Pups on it. That Tele really sounds and plays great.
Last edited by manta on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

At that price, I'm guessing those are MIM. The only thing I have against the Mexican Fenders is that the necks seem to be all over the place. When I bought my MIM Strat years ago, I played with at least a dozen of them before I found one with a neck I liked. Still have and love the one I got - with upgraded electronics. Same thing on my '72 Deluxe RI Tele. Wanted one, but hated the feel of the neck on every one I picked up until I eventually found mine. (Settled for black when I really liked the walnut color better.) IMO, the pickups in most MIM models are decent, but not great. Good news is that if you get a neck you like, you can swap to about any aftermarket pickups you want and still be around/under the cost of a US Fender.

If you like the feel of the one you played, I'd say go back and get that one. You might not find another that feels the same. Personally, after the experiences above, I wouldn't/won't buy a MIM Fender I haven't played. Maybe I'm too picky.... :wink:

I will vouch for the Lollar Regals sounding great. Caveat that I've not played anything wIth "real" vintage wide range pickups, so can't speak to authenticity, but I upgraded the '72 Deluxe RI a while back. The stock ones weren't bad, but the Regals sound great. I think they're using a slightly different stock pickup these days, but I believe they're still just a 'normal' humbucker in the larger cover, potted with wax to make it fit.

And yes, you can justify another guitar. You may just have to apply yourself and get a little creative. :D
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Nice guitar; if you'll play it, buy it.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”