Blues Driver BD-2 With 330

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Canyonblue

Blues Driver BD-2 With 330

Post by Canyonblue »

Hey!
I just purchased a 2014 Rickenbacker Blue Boy 330 and have found when put through my blues driver the 330 lacks the bite that the BD-2 gives me with my other guitars (Epiohone Sheraton) I find that I have to crank up the gain on the BD-2 a quarter more than my epiphone to receive the same bite as the Epiohone.

Does anyone have any solutions?
Canyonblue

Re: Blues Driver BD-2 With 330

Post by Canyonblue »

Sorry this is obviously due to the Sheraton having humbucker pickups and the 330 having single coil...but can anyone suggest an overdrive to replace the bd-2 that will give me that extra kick with the single coils? I have heard a red llama by way huge produces some heavy overdrive/distortion tones?

Or would you recommend installing Rickenbacker humbucker pickups to get me closer to that heavier fuzz tone I'm after?
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

What are you using for an amp?

On Ricks (and a lot of other stuff)I tend to favor the cleaner boosts. Something like the Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso (or even better, the discontinued Poblano Picoso, if you can find one). That drives the input hard but keeps that unique Rick character - with either Toasters or Hi-Gains.

The Red Llama is cool, especially if you drive it with a Green Rhino. That lineup went into the uber-rare Camel Toe - Mike Campbell uses one at times. That starts to put a little more 'color' on the sound but gives a really full, thick sound. (More conducive to Gibson PAF sounds, for me anyway.)

I also just bought the MXR Joe Bonamassa FET Driver. It's pretty cool, with just a little 'color' added.

You just need to buy a couple dozen and see what you like. :D
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

The pickups when raised close to the strings will give you some bite.

The Way Huge Green Rhino is definitely more powerful than a Blues Driver, and will help get you closer towards a fuzzier tone, and when stacked with the Way Huge Red Llama, "Whoa, Nelly!". Mike Campbell of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers actually uses both circuits together as his main overdrive, if he needs more than his Tweed Deluxe can give him.

The HB1's will get you close to fuzz, but don't count out the hi-gains, either. They do their thing very well.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Route 66! Combination of compressor with additional overdrive is a great option for a Rickenbacker.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”