Tremolo Arm Setup

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Folkie
Advanced Member

Tremolo Arm Setup

Post by Folkie »

About a month ago I purchased a Mexican Fender Standard Stratocaster with a maple neck, in aged cherry sunburst. Several YouTube videos on whammy bar setup suggested setting the claw so that you can raise the pitch a full minor third on the G-string, a whole step on the B-string, and a half step on the high E. After taking some measures to make sure the guitar stayed in tune, my tech lifted the bridge enough so that I could raise and lower the pitch. However, I can only pull up a whole step on the G-string. If my intention is to emulate Hendrix and Jeff Beck, should I have the claw readjusted :?:
Killed_by_Death

vibrato arm

Post by Killed_by_Death »

That arm is actually used for a vibrato effect.
Do the adjustments yourself. Here is Fender's own guide:

http://www2.fender.com/support/articles ... etup-guide
"The pleasure is to play, makes no difference what you say."

Ian Fraser Kilmister (24 Dec 1945 – 28 Dec 2015)
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Tremolo Arm Setup

Post by jps »

Vibratos are best for going down and somewhat up in pitch, Best used for divebombs. Bend the strings as you normally would to raise the pitch. The vibrato is limited in its upward motion by either the bridge plate making contact with the body or the block hitting the side of the cavity, either way, no adjustment of the claw with help either scenario; the claw is primarily for setting the height of the bridge plate off the body. Keep in mind that the height of the bridge plate will affect string height, too, so readjusting the saddles may be required.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

jps wrote:Vibratos are best for going down and somewhat up in pitch, Best used for divebombs. Bend the strings as you normally would to raise the pitch. The vibrato is limited in its upward motion by either the bridge plate making contact with the body or the block hitting the side of the cavity, either way, no adjustment of the claw with help either scenario; the claw is primarily for setting the height of the bridge plate off the body. Keep in mind that the height of the bridge plate will affect string height, too, so readjusting the saddles may be required.
Thanks! Isn't it the case that the higher the bridge, the more you can raise the pitch with the tremolo arm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-F7iSIopA
Killed_by_Death

bridge height raises action

The higher the bridge floats, the higher your action is going to be.
There will come a point where the bridge is too high, and the saddles bottom out before you get your action where you want it.

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Folkie wrote: Isn't it the case that the higher the bridge, the more you can raise the pitch with the tremolo arm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-F7iSIopA
As Brad said, there are lots of interrelated variables to consider. If the action gets too high, you could shim the neck angle to lower the action and raise the pickups to get them back where you want them in relation to the strings. You still have keep in mind that the more you set the vibrato for pulling the strings sharp, the less it will go in the down direction. It is easy to bend a string up, not so easy to bend them flat. :mrgreen:

I should experiment a bit with the vibrato on my PRS but there is only so far I can go on that as it won't take to shimming the neck very well..............
Killed_by_Death

Ah-Ha, so now we know at least one advantage to a bolt-on neck.

Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: bridge height raises action

Post by Folkie »

Thanks for the insights. Right now the action on the guitar is low and comfortable, and I do a lot of down-bends, so maybe I should leave it as is. On the other hand, I have played a few Floyd Rose-equipped guitars with very high floating bridges and extremely low action. I'd only like to shim the neck as a last resort.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The Floyd Rose vibrato is a totally different animal to the Strat vibrato, and the way it is installed allows for pulling up to a much higher degree..
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I have another question about the whammy bar on my new Strat. It currently dangles loosely near the volume and tone controls, making it an inconvenience to grab with my palm or fingers. Without over-tightening, is there a way to get it tight enough to rest parallel to the neck (ala Jeff Beck) for easier access? (When I try to tighten it, the bar will not make a full revolution without over-tightening.) I hope my question is clear. Any advice?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Come over and try the PRS I have for sale.
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

Fender sells little black springs that you install in the hole you screw the arm in. These allow you to get just the amount of resistance on the arm swing you'd like.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

jps wrote:Come over and try the PRS I have for sale.
Different tremolo mechanism, no?
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Badanovski wrote:Fender sells little black springs that you install in the hole you screw the arm in. These allow you to get just the amount of resistance on the arm swing you'd like.
Would any of the chain stores carry or order these?
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks, Rock! Found those springs at Sam Ash. :D

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”