"Faux Combeaux" Res o glas

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Dom

"Faux Combeaux" Res o glas

Post by Dom »

I suppose this is more of a build thread. Finally picked up a Guitar Kits USA Belmont Res o glas body and a 24 fret neck. These fiberglass bodies sound great for playing slide. Instead of making a Valco clone, the guitar will be inspired by the single cut Combo 600/800's hence the Faux Combeaux moniker. I've wanted to do this build for years now.

I have a 1971 Electro lap steel that has a killer pickup but nowadays is way more of a pain to use than just a regular guitar. I'm pulling the pickup for the bridge pickup in this guitar. No, I am not parting out the rest of the body or anything since I've had it 20 years. Pickguardian plastic bass treble surround on order because I will wire this one permanently in series & want no buzz when I touch metal. Next, add a fiber hi gain at the neck and a piezo under the bridge & separate outputs. Master volume, master tone with Torres mid bost/cut. out of phase switching and a separate volume for the piezo.

I have yet to decide on a combo 400/600/800 style bridge or the standard Ric bridge with a trapeze...I may do some test fits to get the neck angle correct with an accent tailpiece & standard bridge in the meantime.

The body is black but I want to go with a chameleon blue/turquoise color changing vinyl wrap. I will go with white lucite for the pickguard because I have some. If I break the guard while making it I'll first get mad at my own stupidity then spring for someone else to make me one in vintage gold. Headstock will look like a combo 600/800 & the neck will be tung oiled.
Dom

Re: "Faux Combeaux" Res o glas

Post by Dom »

Not close to done with this one, but had to post some progress. Cheap 'n fat 24 fret neck...can't tell here but I shaped the headstock like a combo 600. I took the entire electronics out of the lap steel and stuck them in, just to get it going. I will have a gold pickguard with a 3 way and different pots so the knobs are not in their final homes. The surround is from pickguardian & I need Tony to make me another lower plate with a cutout so I can adjust the pickup better. I will be getting a 660 bridge to fit the neck width & to replace the completely sub par $14 knock off bridge. Piezo will be under the bridge. More on this one later.

Here is the guitar in it's current state.
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Re: "Faux Combeaux" Res o glas

Post by LenMinNJ »

Looks like a fun project!

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”