Fender Mustang GT200 Amp

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

peterjcb

Fender Mustang GT200 Amp

Post by peterjcb »

Thoughts or experiences with the Fender Mustang GT200 Amp?

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amp ... 00000.html

I'm just doing research now on different amps...not ready to buy yet as I have a small Crate Amp that works for me right now.
Rickenbacker 1991 330-12 JetGlo | Gibson 2016 Firebird T vintage sunburst
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Fender Mustang GT200 Amp

Post by Folkie »

Well, Peter, I just recently purchased a Fender Mustang IV [V.2] 150 watt, two speaker, modeling amp. I also have a Boss GT-100 multi-effects unit. For clean and slightly dirty tones, with my two Stratocasters, the Mustang quite simply blows the Boss unit out of the water. It's not as good with my RICs (which sound more natural with the Vox AC15), but you can't have everything. I'm considering selling the GT-100 and using just the Mustang with my Strats. I hope this feedback is helpful!
peterjcb

Post by peterjcb »

thanks for the info Robert....I've turned my attention the Vox amplifiers. Being a die hard Beatles fan it seems only natural for me... :)
Doing my research now into both new and used / tube and solid state and weighing factors on lots of choices.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I highly recommend the Vox AC15. Plenty of volume and tone, but lighter to hold than the AC30's. I ordered mine from North Coast Music and had the owner swap out the stock Celestion Greenback speaker for a real Alnico Blue. The result: an amp that sounds sublime with both my RICs. I prefer to plug directly into the amp's Top Boost channel, without any effects (not even a compressor). Finally, the amp cost substantially less than a Fender Deluxe Reverb, even after the speaker swap! 8)
peterjcb

Post by peterjcb »

Ok, so I found a deal on an AC30VR that I couldn't pass up. It a hybrid amp and it has a tube or valve as some call it in the pre-amp section I think. The amp is in like new condition and I picked it up for $400 USD shipped...came with a foot pedal, and really nice HD guitar cord that the owner threw in.
I was looking for 2-12" speakers and wanted to keep the weight about 50 lbs. so for now this will serve me very well. If I decide later that I want an all tube amp or find a deal on a full tube AC30 I shouldn't have any problem either trading this one in or selling it without losing much money.
...pictured is also my Keeley Compression pedal and an original Vox Wah-Wah pedal that I purchased in Manny's Music store in NYC back in 1967 and it works greatl..... :)
20170606_161001.jpg

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”