Gibson J185-12 string recommendations

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Axelorox

Gibson J185-12 string recommendations

Post by Axelorox »

I will soon be the proud owner of a new Gibson J185-12 and need advice on what strings to get for it. This will be my first ever 12 string.

Here are my key criteria:
- Uncoated. I never found coated strings that I liked the sound or feel of.
- Good for vocal accompaniment. I am pretty much always singing when I am playing acoustic guitar, so need tone that complements the voice (I'm a tenor) rather than stands out on its own for solo playing.
- Good longevity and durability. Changing strings is already bad enough on a six string!
- Correct tension for standard tuning. I'm not sure what gauge these leave the Gibson factory with, but I think it's .10s.
- Something that emulates the vintage (~1970s) 12 string sounds that inspired me to get this instrument. Pink Floyd, John Denver, Wings, etc.

I am not usually a gearhead type at all so any information or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
teb
Advanced Member

Re: Gibson J185-12 string recommendations

Post by teb »

My current acoustic twelve is a Martin SPD12-16R and I've been using their Acoustic SP Phosphor Bronze extra light sets (.010-.047) for about the last ten years and they have worked well. Before that I owned a couple of Takamine twelves and used either the same Martin strings or a similar weight of D'Addario light gauge phosphor bronze EJ38 (.010-.047) sets without problems. I have always kept them tuned up to concert pitch.
Attachments
twelves.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The strings I have on my Yamamoto MS-12 are D'Addario 10-47s, seems to work well enough on it, and it sound wonderful, to me, and everyone who's played it. Good enough for me. :D
Yamamoto MS-12 Photograph 2016 © Jeffrey P. Scott All rights reserved
Yamamoto MS-12 Photograph 2016 © Jeffrey P. Scott All rights reserved
Axelorox

Post by Axelorox »

Thanks for the suggestions.

@jps: How has the durability of the D'Addario strings been for you? When I was younger I used mainly D'Addario but broke strings pretty frequently. But then those were cheaper guitars that probably did not have great quality of the nut or saddle.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I've never broken a guitar string except for one octave G but that was an old string. So, my verdict on D'Ad is no issues.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”