Popping sound with Countryman Type 85 DI

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

cassius987

Popping sound with Countryman Type 85 DI

Post by cassius987 »

When I plug in my Countryman DI to the XLR cable at my church (swapping out the passive DI box that normally occupies the same channel), there is a loud “pop”. There is also a loud “pop” (very similar sounding) when I plug in the instrument to the instrument input. I have tried doing this in both orders (XLR first, instrument second, or vice-versa) and it happens regardless. (Obviously in the latter case, you only hear the pop with the XLR being plugged in for the first time, and don’t hear it when the instrument gets plugged in.) I’ve never had a passive or active DI do this before. Particularly at the instrument side, I believe this should definitely not be happening; very small (but not inaudible) pops are common if the channel is unmuted when the XLR is plugged into the DI.

Is this just a "feature" of the Type 85 DI?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Popping sound with Countryman Type 85 DI

Post by jps »

Having problems with the phantom power of your console, perhaps?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

jps wrote:Having problems with the phantom power of your console, perhaps?
I was wondering about that, but not sure if the popping at instrument plug in suggested a different issue, and other DIs don't do this.

How would I diagnose a phantom power source issue?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Just confirmed this is the DI, not phantom. The same noise happens if I am unplugging the instrument at the DI while the "through" output is directed to the amp, with no exposure to phantom power.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”