This is my punk...or something

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
admin
Site Admin

Re: This is my punk...or something

Post by admin »

Thanks Robert. I appreciate your comments.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

robbo63 wrote:Sorry, Peter, I figured a Repo Man quote in a punk forum was cool, no offense meant to anyone - and people who know me know I'd be the last to denigrate someone for sexuality. I just love Repo Man, it remains one of my all-time faves!

"I blame society"
"You're just a white suburban punk like me"
"That was intense"
"Oh, you don't want to look in there"

I knew exactly what you meant, Robert.
So many quotable lines, I use them in conversation all the time and people look at me like this: :?
janglerocker

Post by janglerocker »

Debbi: Duke, let's go do some crimes.
Duke: Yeah. Let's go get sushi and not pay.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Reminds me of, "Joke #13!" - "Ha-ha-ha!" - "Joke #28!" - "Aye, man, that's not funny!"
I love a good punk song, even if it's not "PC" at all. (And personally, i have no problem with that.) But here, the freedom of speech is restricted by general forum rules. I understand it sometimes may not be very comfortable; still, i've seen punk forums where there's no restrictions, and frankly, i never felt like getting registered at them. Most of those i've come across were all over the place like a baby's breakfast, and i don't mean that in good sense. Well, i dunno. I'm just hoping this section would be funny (and we can work out a secret language... kiddin').
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
robbo63

Post by robbo63 »

captsandwich wrote: "You're just a white suburban punk like me"
hehe, you forgot the reply.

"Yeah, but it still hurts!"
rickenmetal

Post by rickenmetal »

(referring to that first post):

most of that stuff was considered punk or hardcore punk at the time, and skaters did listen to it. I suppose now skaters will listen to anything, including hip hop and drum & bass. Anyways, back to the topic:

It is very interesting that it sounded radically different from the UK punk of the 1980's, although most late 70's California punk such as the Dils, Weirdos and Avengers was similar to the UK punk of that time. Also very interesting is that some of those '80s bands that experimented with metal such as the Suicidal Tendencies and COC sounded different from UK bands that experimented with metal (G.B.H., Discharge). Personally, I prefer the UK bands, but it's an interesting topic.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

These guys have been around for a long time with several members floating in and out of the group over the years. Agent Orange with the great Dusty Watson on drums...Surf Punk!

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Also regarding the first post,

For those of you that don't know, Skrewdriver were the most famous Nazi skinhead band in the world. Their songs of hate have inspired many to acts of racist violence, and their records are illegal in several countries.Their singer was killed in a car crash in the early 90s and that was the end of the band. I only post this as information to those wondering why "so sue me" appears after the bands name, and wish to save anyone the trouble of googling or asking about them to save them the risk of giving someone the wrong impression. I hope I have not overstepped the forum rules, but I feel it is important to warn those who don't know. I won't discuss this anymore on the forum, but if you want to know what I think you can always PM me.

I saw MDC, (when they first played L.A.)which originally stood for Millions of Dead Cops, and had a song called "Dead Cops" many years before Body counts "Cop Killer" got all that attention. It always surprised me, because it was like 10 years before when MDC was singing much more crazy lyrics than Body Count. MDC were from Texas, and were initially an angry punk band that had some good songs on their first record. I think they changed their name to Multi Death Corporation and became more of a skater/metal thrash band like DRI and Suicidal Tendencies did.

I don't understand the Black Flag not being punk statement, they were amongst the first punk bands in Los Angeles. Some of their last stuff before Henry Rollins went on to his own thing got a little wierd.

GBH still kick butt, did a festival with them in 2001 in Morecombe, England, and they really brought it.

Oh, and life is like a plate of shrimp....
rickenmetal

Post by rickenmetal »

Supposedly Screwdriver were not nazis at the beginning, they were a punk band and they became nazis after the second album or something.
-------------
Anyways, there were other Ca bands which experimented with surf type sounds, like the Dead Kennedys, and also Agression, which was also kind of metal as well. I guess it's the skater thing that made the LA bands really different from the UK bands.
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

pretty good list (and I hope we can find a good lawyer in case we do get sued over liking Skrewdriver :lol: :lol: but All Skrewed Up, Boots&Braces and Voice Of Britain are pure classic imho. you can keep all the rest of the overly political right wing stuff after that)
but for me, I'd have to add :
Fang
[Sub][Hum][Ans]
Capitol Punishment
Bad Brains
The Oppressed
The 4 Skins
Crucif***s
The Business
Agnostic Front
and Circle Jerks
back in the day... late '80's ... there was a band (local for me) called Jesters Of Chaos. they were excellent street core, Oi! but their singer died in a scooter accident and the rest of the band just split up.shame actually,they were a great bunch o' guys :(
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
responders

Post by responders »

Cassandra an original band from the late seventies,,, i did many shows at the shabbo in willimantic,,,,,while we had our own residency on tuesday nite for almost a year we did many national acts their,,,,, we were the ONLY band on the bill with groups like MOUNTAIN, THE GOOD RATS,,, THE DEAD BOYS, THE RAMONES, MOLLY HATCHETT, , our biggest mistake their was not doin a show with AC/DC cause we thought they were queers from austrailia,,Cassandra went on to new york at places like l'MOURS IN BROOKLYN, GREAT GILDERSLEEVES AND CBGBS IN MANHATAN,with groups like THE DICATORS, THE MARBLES, THE PLANETS, THE TUFF DARTS, THE CRAMPS, snd The Senders to name a few,the Talkin Heads paid us double not to perform with them as the ramones ;managment warn them of how hard we rocked,,, did shows in boston at the ratskellier (the cars cavern so to speak) and great shows at both Agora Ballrooms with Fast Fingers, and Cryer, again to name a few. We were an original band but did start most of our shows in sillouette doin white punks on dope with our singer Dave Macfall crawling out of a garbage can with a nylon stockin over his head!!! i do consider myself at the age of 55 still one of the original punks,, that could play and i now work with a band called The Responders in southern ct rippin it up still, thanks,,, keith marron 2038140676
rictified

Post by rictified »

janglerocker wrote:Good list, Sean.
Reminds me of the time I saw Stiv Bators hang himself onstage with the mic cord. Threw the mic up over the rafters, couple times around the neck and he pulled himself about 3 feet off the stage. Of course this was just shortly after he had climbed inside the bass drum for Johnny Blitz to pummel him for an entire song.

Shaboo Inn, Willimantic CT around '78
I used to play the Shaboo Inn around that time maybe a little later, neat place to play.
08 Ric 4003

Post by 08 Ric 4003 »

Punk has come and gone. I remember when I was growing up the punk bands were Black Flag, DK, X, Germs, Exploited, The Clash although I love and saw them live I don't think they were punk, Ramones, Pistols, Fear, Circle Jerks. Now Green Day are punk and Blink 182. Give mew a break. That is pop with a we think we are punk edge. There are bands that spawned punk like VU, The Dolls, Stooges, Lou, MC5 ect. And don't get me started on country music which is just a pretty girl with a back up band and a little pedal steel and a twang in the voice and singing a song about a tractor.
scotty

Post by scotty »

:lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

08 Ric 4003 wrote:And don't get me started on country music which is just a pretty girl with a back up band and a little pedal steel and a twang in the voice and singing a song about a tractor.
Not quite an accurate assessment but very funny never the less. :lol: :lol: :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”