This is my punk...or something

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
rictified

Re: This is my punk...or something

Post by rictified »

janglerocker wrote:Good list, Sean.
Reminds me of the time I saw Stiv Bators hang himself onstage with the mic cord. Threw the mic up over the rafters, couple times around the neck and he pulled himself about 3 feet off the stage. Of course this was just shortly after he had climbed inside the bass drum for Johnny Blitz to pummel him for an entire song.

Shaboo Inn, Willimantic CT around '78
I used to play The Shaboo around that time, lots of great bands played there, mine was not one of them :mrgreen:
That was a great club. I opened for Wishbone Ash in 1980 or 81 there.
rictified

Post by rictified »

brianb wrote:Geez Dan I haven't thought of the Shaboo in years! I grew up in Springfield. I don't suppose it's still there, is it? I was in a band that opened for The Dead Boys and Stiv's insanity was infectious. We got pie -eyed and forgot the 4 chords we knew but we had a lot of fun making noise. :D
No it closed years ago, early 80's I think when all the big clubs closed around here. Remember The Cricket Lounge in Ashland Brian? I used to play there a lot too, that also closed during the early 80's
I just read the post about the fire I forgot about that. The place was pretty dead for a while before it burnt.
expomick
Intermediate Member

Post by expomick »

Man, I love the mid-70's British punk, the mid-70's New York City punk, the L.A. and San Francisco scene from the early 80's and some late 80's stuff. After that, it basically had all been done.

While in a band back in the 80's, had a chance to open for, among others:

- The Exploited
- Anti-Nowhere League
- Alien Sex Fiend
- The Minutemen
- The Cramps
- Trio (okay, they shouldn't be on this list, but talk about a bad pairing)

Saw X in 1983 (Montreal), the Clash twice (Montreal 1982 and the Bernie Rhodes joke in Ottawa 1984), the Stranglers (Ottawa 1981), M.D.C. (Ottawa 1983), Flipper (Ottawa 1982), D.O.A. (Ottawa 1982, and last year here in Toronto in the XM studios for a recording session)...

I hated it when punk became codified. It's not supposed to look like Blink-182 all the time, or Green Day...though I think Green Day actually have their moments.

But the rest sounds like Mall Punk to me. But the kids don't care, and they shouldn't. Once you're over 30 (or around that age), and you start writing postings like I'm doing right now, then you've become your Dad, and most of us would probably cringe if we actually put any stock into what our Dad thought about our music when we were young.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Mick, what band were you in?
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

MDC!
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

My high school band used to cover John Wayne was a Nazi.
:D
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

oh man, i haven't heard that song in ages.
rictified

Post by rictified »

captsandwich wrote:My high school band used to cover John Wayne was a Nazi.
:D
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Dear Bob,
i may be overcaring so forgive me if i am, but i am afraid it's a little step to a thin ground. We cannot change the song title, but this kind of question may be dangerous bearing in mind general forum rules.
Thanks in advance for your understanding.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
rictified

Post by rictified »

My memory must be fuzzy on that song :twisted:
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Whoops. I definitely need a few days off reading and editing strange books... you know, strange books, funny books... :twisted:
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
robbo63

Post by robbo63 »

Anyway... personally, I didn't become aware of punk until about '81. I wasn't so much into hardcore. Used to go to the 9:30 Club (on F Street) in DC and catch a lot of 80's hardcore punk shows but didn't really get into it. I was more likely to be at DC Space following the garage / psychedelia / mod revival acts than trash or hardcore. I can't remember the name of the church in DC that used to have punk shows in the basement. Oh, and my band once opened for the Lyres from Boston, man those guys could party. And I met H.R. of Bad Brains in the recording studio.

Someone mentioned MDC, I saw them in Carbondale IL at an anti-Reagan rally, with a big banner, "Cut off Reagan's Arms". :twisted:
janglerocker

Post by janglerocker »

Ahhhh, Bob, The life of a repo man is always intense.........
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are several edits here. Please recall no politics, sexuality and a degree of sensitivity to others is still required here. Simply putting something in quotations does not make it an acceptable post. Sheena is quite right in her comments.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
robbo63

Post by robbo63 »

Sorry, Peter, I figured a Repo Man quote in a punk forum was cool, no offense meant to anyone - and people who know me know I'd be the last to denigrate someone for sexuality. I just love Repo Man, it remains one of my all-time faves!

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”