Boomtown Rats anyone?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Boomtown Rats anyone?

Post by sowhat »

Here where i live, this band is probably most known as "the band that did "I don't like mondays"". And they are something i find hard to understand. They've been described as "pop punk" in a "rock encyclopaedia" i had back in the day (heh, see the difference between them and modern so-called "pop punk" bands? :twisted: ); they were funny, and odd, and all, and had a cool name (imho), but i don't get why on Earth they were referred to as "punk"? Because of their early days hit record?

Any ideas? What do you think of them? As always, all kinds of opinions welcome.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Re: Boomtown Rats anyone?

Post by captsandwich »

My sister brought home Tonic for the Troops in 1978 and I loved it back to front. Great album. Strong songwriters & talented musicians, with an engaging front man in Bob Geldoff. "I Don't Like Mondays" was way less energetic than most of their stuff prior to that.
They had punk roots, but by the time "I Don't Like Mondays" came out I think they were known as a New Wave band, which was a catch all for young, energetic, 'rough around the edges' bands and singer songwriters that weren't classic rock, but weren't quite as threatening as punks. Elvis Costello & Joe Jackson fit into this category. Now, anything from the Bristish Isles in the seventies that wasn't prog rock, disco or sacharrine sweet MOR pop is called punk. They started off as a gritty, angry bunch of scruffy guys, but they progressed past the loud & angry aesthetic of punk as they grew musically.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

I've got some good footage of Phil Lynott and Bob Geldof getting totally ripped together.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I have a lot of respect for Bob Geldof. He's a great man. Back to the topic at hand. I don't personally believe that music by The Boomtown Rats should be labelled punk. New wave is probably closer to an apt description.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
scotty

Post by scotty »

Didn't really like the BT Rats that much Mr Geldof annoyed me. Im sure hes a nice person but the music didn't do it for me.I Met him in Robbie Coltanes house in the early 90s and listened to him politely he seemed a nice person.As for the BT Rats Brian im with you as they were New Wave and not Punk.Sorry to Compartmentalize the BT Rats but i link them with The Buggles and a girl that shot her classmates and thats not good. Sorry!I really should try to give them another listen.Mind you if i link them to a girl thats shot her classmates Mr Geldof has managed to brand his song in my head with words and thats the trick.So whos the fool? :wink: That will be me doh!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Well, i'm not really surprised, Scott, cause in fact, when i hear of "Boomtown Rats", i'm thinking of "I don't like Mondays", too. :wink: It's sticking in my head for good or for bad, and every Monday i wake up to the sounds of that powerful intro in my head (well, not really, but i don't like Mondays either :wink: ).
Perhaps "new wave" could be a topic for a next discussion — where did it come from and where does it go (or where does it walk us)?
scotty

Post by scotty »

Looking forward to the new wave topic Sheena New waves ma thang!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Indeed you have a way with people, Scott. :wink: BTW, you can always start a topic of your own in case you want to talk about something rebel music related. :wink:
expomick
Intermediate Member

Post by expomick »

And underrated band, in my opinion. Good pop-rock, regardless of whatever label one is tempted to stick on them.
Two of the best concerts I ever attended were by the Boomtown Rats: both in Ottawa, Ontario. The first one March 1980 and the second one about a year later. Top-notch concerts with a ton of energy and personality.

They had some great songs...Diamond Smiles, Rat Trap, Someone's Lookin' At You, Elephant's Graveyard, Up All Night, Having My Picture Taken, even Another Piece of Red (hey, Canada gets mentioned in it...and we rarely get mentioned anywhere).
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

In the early 80's, after first fame, Geldof used to shamble around Faversham, where I would hang out with friends occasionally, telling people who he was, and quite simply, no one cared.

Live Aid made him for what he is today, but he has become almost a caricature of himself over the years. He found his calling, but it was certainly not making music.
scotty

Post by scotty »

When Geldoff decided to do I don't like mondays at Live8 it was goodnight Irene for me.... But self indulgence probably took over
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

scotty wrote:When Geldoff decided to do I don't like mondays at Live8 it was goodnight Irene for me.... But self indulgence probably took over
He's just one of a number of artists who should have known when to quit!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I can't seperate them from a girl I was in school with named Eileen when their big hit was released. She got so much teasing about that song, for the obvious innuendo. :shock:

I thought Geldoff was great in "The Wall", but admittingly, have really never heard much of their music. Never heard much more about him after Live aid, for that matter.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

whojamfan wrote:I can't seperate them from a girl I was in school with named Eileen when their big hit was released. She got so much teasing about that song, for the obvious innuendo. :shock:
I think you are thinking of Dexy's Midnight Runners, who did Come On Eileen.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

captsandwich wrote:
whojamfan wrote:I can't seperate them from a girl I was in school with named Eileen when their big hit was released. She got so much teasing about that song, for the obvious innuendo. :shock:
I think you are thinking of Dexy's Midnight Runners, who did Come On Eileen.
Oh boy! Now that is an awful band Greg. That's band that deserves to be relegated to obscurity and footnotes.

I agree with the comment about Bob finding his calling. That's why I like him. He found his calling (how many of us do that?) and did a good job. He obviously has small regrets about not being able to follow his other passion (which is music) and being able to achieve that pinnacle. He has my utmost respect for his charity work never the less.

Unfortunately I have never been to one of his concerts and perhaps as you suggest Greg he was able to do quite well for himself in a live situation. He certainly had the charisma of a rock star in the early days so it's too much of a stretch to believe that he could do a bang up job when he had an audience pulling for him.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”