New wave?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
paologregorio

Re: New wave?

Post by paologregorio »

I got to meet Roddy Radiation and Neville Staples. They were quite friendly people.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Nice to hear from you Paul and Greg, and of coarse Sheena!Paul tell us of your meeting with Roddy and Greg tell us what was the lovely pauline black of The selector like to work with ( i might add she is a lovely person)your personal comments are appreciated!Yours skanking SB
scotty

Post by scotty »

A milestone for stiff records as this was Mr Costello's first major hit.Anyone out there want to add anything about Elvis Costello? Im not the best person for the job.Where was Elvis in the New wave ladder?
expomick
Intermediate Member

Post by expomick »

Well, yeah, at first he was marketed that way, and he shared some of the same traits...as one earlier post said, the reutrn of the pop single. The energy, the colour, the excitement back into that tired old beast called rock 'n roll.

Having said all that, Mr. Costello always endeavoured to be much, much more than that musically, and I think he has succeeded, even if some of his particular musical forays may not have.

To quote Elvis from the Larry Sanders Show..."I'm a BIG FAN".
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

I was lucky enough to see Elvis Costello live in 1978's 'This Years Model Tour' and 1979's 'Armed Forces Tour). Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds and Rockpile opened in '78. Probably the best live show I've ever seen. Elvis was at his pigeon-toed best, thrashing around the stage, and sweating profusely in a suit that was buttoned-up a little too tight. He looked angry and psychotic. When I saw him the next year, he was more like Roy Orbison as he stood stoically strumming a red Stratocaster wearing a polka-dot shirt under his suitcoat.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

randyz wrote:I was lucky enough to see Elvis Costello live in 1978's 'This Years Model Tour' and 1979's 'Armed Forces Tour). Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds and Rockpile opened in '78. Probably the best live show I've ever seen. Elvis was at his pigeon-toed best, thrashing around the stage, and sweating profusely in a suit that was buttoned-up a little too tight. He looked angry and psychotic. When I saw him the next year, he was more like Roy Orbison as he stood stoically strumming a red Stratocaster wearing a polka-dot shirt under his suitcoat.
EC was to me the epitome of the post-punk scene. Sneering persona, intelligent lyrics that covered everything from introspective doubt to rage at Thatcherism and a great sense of what makes a pop tune. I would rate him as one of the few bona fide musical geniuses of the period, along with Robert Smith and David Byrne.

Like a lot of us, they all got less confronting and more comfortable as they got older, although Byrne and Smith have never shaken their inate weirdness, bless 'em!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Love the late 70's EC stuff.

You could see the man had genuine talent...
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Slight thread drift - but here goes. Yesterday I picked-up a 30th anniversary CD reissue of Nick Lowe's 1978 masterpiece 'Jesus of Cool' (known in slightly modified form as 'Pure Pop For Now People' in the USA). It will be in the shops in a week or two. It sounds better today than it did when I first heard it in 1979. Includes both the UK and USA tracks along with a bunch of bonus tracks. This guy knocked me out with Rockpile opening for Costello in '78. He was wearing his famous green stage suit with the dollar signs, white shoes and a white Fender P-bass. A few years later I saw him playing bass in Paul Carrack's solo band. I was surprised to see him playing a small club in Lubbock, Texas with Martin Belmont (formerly of The Rumour) on guitar. Luckily, Paul allowed Nick to play a short set of his songs. So it goes...
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Slight thread drift - but here goes. Yesterday I picked-up a 30th anniversary CD reissue of Nick Lowe's 1978 masterpiece 'Jesus of Cool' (known in slightly modified form as 'Pure Pop For Now People' in the USA). It will be in the shops in a week or two. It sounds better today than it did when I first heard it in 1979. Includes both the UK and USA tracks along with a bunch of bonus tracks. This guy knocked me out with Rockpile opening for Costello in '78. He was wearing his famous green stage suit with the dollar signs, white shoes and a white Fender P-bass. A few years later I saw him playing bass in Paul Carrack's solo band. I was surprised to see him playing a small club in Lubbock, Texas with Martin Belmont (formerly of The Rumour) on guitar. Luckily, Paul allowed Nick to play a short set of his songs. So it goes...
expomick
Intermediate Member

Post by expomick »

Not really a thread drift, as Nick Lowe fits into this discussion, even though his musical contributions predate the rise of New Wave.

Two of my favourite albums of all-time are Jesus of Cool, and Labour of Lust. Got both on vinyl, and have transferred them to CD, as I've never been able to find them on CD. Good to know the re-issues have begun. I've seen Lowe in September 1985 and then in January 1995. The second show was fantastic; he was rather grumpy ten years earlier. He still puts out pretty good stuff.

But of course, I loved his production work, or lack thereof (Basher) on the early Elvis Costello stuff.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

scotty wrote:Nice to hear from you Paul and Greg, and of coarse Sheena!Paul tell us of your meeting with Roddy and Greg tell us what was the lovely pauline black of The selector like to work with ( i might add she is a lovely person)your personal comments are appreciated!Yours skanking SB
I met Roddy and Neville about eight or ten years ago in San Diego. My friend Chris Wakula, aka "Wacky", was the lead guitarist at the time in a band called "Danny Dean and the Homewreckers", had a gig opening up for a version of the Specials at a club in the Gaslamp District of San Diego. Wacky and I were both longtime Specials fans, so Wacky invited me to tag along to the show. I helped carry in the gear and with a bit of set up. We were all decked out in flashy vintage suits, so Neville mistook me for one of the band members shortly after setup was complete, complimenting the Homewreckers' sound from a previous occasion on which the two bands had shared a bill. I introduced my self and explained that I was just a friend of the band, not in it, and it was a pleasure to meet him. After sound check, and watching the Specials soundcheck, I was able to hang out backstage with the guys, which is where I met Roddy, who is a very personable guy. We shared a few beers, and we were each able to take a snapshot with Roddy. One of the topics was Terry Hall, the former lead singer. I don't remember how the subject came up, but it entailed something ato the effect that Terry was really good at sussing out the each new and upcoming pop musical trend on their side of the pond and becoming part of it. I hope Wacky and I didn't bring up the subject, as I'm sure the guys got sick and tired of hearing questions such as "why won't Terry Hall sing with you guys"? et cetera.

Neville lived in Long Beach for awhile after that tour but has since mooved back home.

Roddy can be found on My Space. His "Ska-billy Rebels" have some catchy tunes, and his tasty guitar work is much more up in the mix where it belongs, though not overly so!
scotty

Post by scotty »

Paul Great story thanks for sharing that with us very interesting stuff indeed Cheers :D
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Roddy Radiation was a total gentleman, and my personal navigator for a few days the first time my band I was in played England. We got to this bar in Sheffield, and I'm thinking, "Wow, Roddys helping us out with the roadie duties like he was in the band." We eventually got him home to Coventry, where we had another englishman ride shotgun, as I was doing the driving, and just needed to be told exactly where to turn and such, being from Los Angeles. I got to be the driver, as I was good at it, had lived in Europe before, and didn't drink.

We had done a US tour with the Specials(of course right before I joined)so the other guys really knew them well. I got to play with them a few times, but that band broke up and a few of us formed a new one and were still hooked up with all of these guys. It was great when they played L.A. and we just strolled right in on the guestlist for those backstage parties and ringside seats.Roddy is a great guitar player and one hell of a nice guy as well. I hope he is doing well.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”