Book recommendation! "Rip It Up & Start Again"

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Book recommendation! "Rip It Up & Start Again"

Post by scott_s »

(by Simon Reynolds)

I love seeing all the discussions about "punk" here -- punk as a style or political statement is so hard to pin down because it's the DIY, you-don't-have-to-be-good-to-start-a-band ethos that really unites them. What's even more interesting than what happened in the first few years of the "punk movement" is what happened when the next wave of bands (like Pere Ubu, Talking Heads, Devo, Joy Division, Cabaret Voltaire, Wire, Public Image Ltd, etc) pushed the limits and experimented with different styles. There aren't many books that document this stage, but "Rip It Up & Start Again" tries as hard as it can to capture the whole thing, along with the emotion and mood of the time. While I already loved "post-punk" music, this book turned me on to a lot of cool bands I had no idea existed.

Check it out! :D

- Scott
danbind

Re: Book recommendation! "Rip It Up & Start Again"

Post by danbind »

Have you read "Our Band Could Be Your Life" by Michael Azerrad? Really great book, and even for someone who listened to a lot of those groups BACK THEN, it was amazing to see how DIY they all had to be about EVERYTHING just to get by.

And it turned me on to Mission of Burma, so how cool is that?
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: Book recommendation! "Rip It Up & Start Again"

Post by scott_s »

I have not, but I have a lot of respect for Michael Azzerad. I'll give it a read. :D

- Scott

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”